Saturday, November 7, 2009

Australia Won But We're Not Going

As I said in yesterday's post, we're Disney Vacation Club Members. What this means is...well, we're supporting one of America's most giant and evil corporations.

It's fairly cool though. We bought a certain number of points, and with these points we can stay free on Disney property. No, it's not truly free. We put money down upfront, and we have to pay yearly dues. But this way saves us money versus paying for a hotel room. Plus, we get to stay in apartments with a full kitchen and laundry.

The problem is I'm annoyed with Disney for various reasons. And I'm a bit tired of it. I also feel going here on a yearly basis is too much. So, fortunately Disney Vacation Club offers alternatives. I don't really understand it yet, but apparently we can trade in our points and go to various resorts around the world.

The hard decision was....where do we go? I decided the three of us should vote, and we should do it the way Australia does their elections...preferential voting. I listed nine places (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Elsewhere in Europe, Central America, South America, Africa, Asia, and....AUSTRALIA!). Then we numbered the places in order which we wanted to go.

I put Australia first, but I figured it would never win. Jack always talks about visiting other places, and Tim does too.

We voted.

Australia won! I was quite shocked. The reason it won is Jack put it second. I wasn't expecting that. He put United States first. I hadn't expected that either.

Tim put Australia pretty high up, but not as high as Jack and I put it. Tim looked a bit bothered that it won.

We talked it over, and decided we're not going. I really want to. I have to admit that. But I feel we should take this opportunity to go somewhere else. I guess I feel guilty about so often getting what I want in terms of our travel plans.

The other thing is we have points for probably only one week there. I'm not doing that long and expensive flight for a one week trip. So we'd have to make it at least 2-3 weeks, and we'd have to find other lodging for the other weeks. That might get more expensive.

So in 2010 we're going somewhere that is not Australia. We THOUGHT Costa Rica had come in second, but then there had been a misunderstanding. When I had said United Kingdom, I had included Ireland in my mind. Tim did not. He gave a higher vote for elsewhere in Europe. I asked where in Europe he wanted to go. He said Ireland. So it then ended up being a toss up between Ireland and Costa Rica. None of us could decide, or wanted to admit, which we preferred. Finally, Tim spoke up and said he wanted to go to Ireland. I think deep inside I was hoping for that as well.

It's sad though. A part of me is excited and happy. Another part of me thinks...But it's not Australia.

The good news is we're going in to Australia in 2011 or 2012....hopefully for a month again. We can try to make one of those weeks free for us. Well, at least lodging might be free.

I really don't know how this point exchange thing works. There might be nothing available in Ireland...or Costa Rica....or anywhere else. Maybe the only place we can go will be Australia. I definitely won't complain if that's the case.

The funny thing is....when we were in Kiama, we joked around that we were in Ireland. When and if we go to Ireland, we can pretend we're in Kiama.