Sports in Melbourne

Lord Wiki wants to talk to me about sports in Melbourne.

I really don't want to hear it, but I'll listen anyway.

The Olympics were held there in 1956. I knew that.

In 2006, they had the Commonwealth Games. Unlike the Olympics, these games aren't for all nations. They're for countries in the Commonwealth. It makes me feel a bit left out.

I guess it's a good argument for Australia not becoming a republic. If they become a republic, would they be banned from the games?

Well, they'd still have the Olympics.

Lord Wiki says there are three big important international sport events that take place in Melbourne.

There's the Australia Open...the tennis thing. In college, I had crushes on three members of the tennis team. But not all at the same time.

The Australia Open takes place in January.

There's the Melbourne Cup. I've heard of that. I think kids have the day off of school? Well, Lord Wiki says it's a public holiday for people in Melbourne.

It's held on the first Tuesday of November. That's election day for us here over in America.

And there's the Australia Grand Prix for car racing. That goes on in March.

Melbourne has the National Sports Museum. I don't think either of the three of us are really into spectator sports. I don't think we'll go there.

That's about all I want to say about sports.

So....short post this time.