I Changed My Mind

Sometimes we think something is utterly fantastic, and then later we realize maybe we don't think it's so great.

No, I'm not talking about my feelings for Australia.

I'm talking about the last season, and finale of Lost

When the finale was on in May, I was in love and obsessed. I didn't mind the lose ends. I loved the reunions. I loved the forgiveness.  I loved the love.

I loved the montage that included Charlie playing guitar while Claire cut his hair.   

To celebrate what I thought was brilliance, I went on Lostpedia everyday and read an episode from the past.  As I did this, I slowly became a bit disillusioned.  I realized there were more lose ends then I imagined.  The finale had some great tear-jerker moments, but it was all kind of cheap in a way.

Now I'm thinking the finale was great for the most part, but they should have changed the ending.  I don't think it should have been a corny we're-all-dead-thing.  I think it should have been what Tim and I had thought it was going to be.  The Losties change the past, and their alternate selves land safely at LAX.  In the finale, they all start remembering each other.  I think it would be best, though, if the finale showed that the Losties are eventually going to start forgetting the island life; it would start feeling like a distant dream.  They'd have to develop new lives and new memories with each other.   

I think a time-traveling emphasis would have been much better for the finale.  First of all, it would fit much better with season 5 because that was all about time travel. Why did they drop it?  A part of me thinks they did it just so their show could shock people with a twist.   They led us into believing it was a time travel thing, and then they pulled out the death card.  Fun. Surprising.But was it the best choice?

I don't think so.