Amanda Vanstone

Thanks to the Q and A episode from March 5, 2012; I've been introduced to Amanda Vanstone. 

She was a senator from the Liberal Party.

I consulted Lord Wiki about her.  If my first introduction to Vanstone had been from him, I probably wouldn't be too fond of her.  I mean I don't think I'd despise her.  But I can't imagine reading it and thinking, She's my type of person.  

But on Q and A, she seems pretty cool.

She supports gay marriage.

On Q and A, she had a nice little speech about how she believes in people being independent from the government, but what helps that along is people being dependent on another within a marriage. So, I guess she's very pro-marriage, whether it be heterosexual or homosexual.  

I also like her attitude towards wealth.  She believes it doesn't necessarily make you a good person; but it also doesn't guarantee you're a bad person.  She's against villainizing the wealthy. I like that.

Then also, in the beginning of the program, she shared her mother's philosophy.  

Vanstone says that some people are born less lucky than others.  Whatever God you believe in is going to be very busy taking care of these people.    If you are one of the lucky ones, it's rude to take up God's time if you can easily take care of yourself.

Hearing it in context, I'm thinking she's using god as an analogy for the government. 

What she says makes sense to me.

I can't get in line with some conservatives.   They have the believe that hard work will give you a good life.  Period.   If you want it enough, and you work hard enough, you'll be successful.   Your ethnic group, gender, socioeconomic background, etc?  None of that matters.

They don't believe in luck.

Then there are conservatives who might believe in luck, but they follow a social Darwinism view of life.   Help yourself. Help your own family. If the unfortunate have awful lives, well, that's their lot in life. 

Anyway....

I guess what I'm saying is Amanda Vanstone's viewpoints irritate me less than most other conservative viewpoints I've encountered.

Maybe that's because she's not overly conservative.  

2 comments:

  1. She is a very perplexing and contradictory person, but she is also quite likeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    Yeah. And I like some of her opinions. I guess for me...that's what makes her likeable.

    ReplyDelete