Trash

I'm still watching the Q and A episode.

There's a feminist on there named Clementine Ford.  I like what she says about climate change.

I'm too lazy to transcribe, so I'll just paraphrase.

She says she's not a scientist and her way of reasoning doesn't have much superiority over climate skeptics. But still she believes, and she believes in treating the planet well.

Really. I feel the same way.

I don't understand all this stuff.

I believe in climate change, because I put my trust in scientists who seem to know what they're talking about.  Sometimes I think climate skeptics have compelling arguments as well.

But Clementine Ford goes on to say, climate change or no climate change. Why would we want to treat our planet like crap?

I don't think we need science to tell us that if you give too much crap to something (like your body or the planet) the results aren't going to be pretty.

I think that's common sense.

Climate change or no climate change, do we want to completely trash the planet?

Do we want to be breathing the air and drinking the water of a polluted garbage dump?

Probably not.

The only thing I'm thinking is that if climate skeptics are right, and we're not doing excessive harm to the plane's atmosphere; then maybe we could relax a LITTLE bit. We don't need to take our shower in the rain. We don't need compost boxes in our backyard. We don't need to throw away our cars.

We don't need to reduce our carbon footprint to a tiny little baby step.

Then again, some people probably DO need to do that to counteract the other people.

There's my family at the lake house. They insist on using paper plates and plastic utensils for every meal. They use way too many plastic water bottles. They buy enough meat for probably double the guests, and a lot of it goes to waste.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm no environmental saint.

I do try to have SOME restraint, though....more than most of my local kin, I dare say.   

It's the same with my body.

I'm not like my aunt who avoids dairy products, red meat, refined sugars, and artificial sweeteners.

But at the same time I don't completely trash my body. I don't smoke or get drunk. I don't do tanning beds.  I eat some junk food but try to counteract some of it with healthy foods.

I'm not perfect. I'm not a saint.

But I'm a little bit good.  

4 comments:

  1. your aunt is wise to avoid sugar.
    and yes dear Dina you are 'a little bit good'.
    X X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that we need moderation in what we do. Nothing irritates me more than hearing people who think we can do whatever we want to with the earth, because after all, isn't God going to put it all right? But that's just me. I do recycle, and refill water bottles, and use up every bit of whatever so as not to waste it. It's sad that everyone doesn't do part of what is needed, for the benefit of us all. (<>

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little smiley face didn't show!
    So I won't try it again, just ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann O'Dyne: Avoiding sugar is a VERY wise choice; but not one I'd want to make.

    And thanks for agreeing that I'm a little bit good. I'd say the same goes for you : )

    Redhead: I'm trying to decide what your attempted smiley face looks like...maybe a space ship flying?

    Yeah. I think we all need to do at least a little bit; and have admiration and gratitude for those who do a lot. Even though sometimes they make me feel guilty and inferior.

    ReplyDelete