Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One Sunday Morning.....

I've been doing a lot of singing practice lately.

For me, that's a little bit of breathing work and a LOT of lyrics work.

I'm horrible at memorizing lyrics which is really frustrating for me.

Singing feels so good  to me. Maybe cathartic?  Maybe even therapeutic.  

But it's really hard when you're singing, Tell me before I waltz out of your life.  Before....blah, blah, blah.....

Sometimes I make up lyrics. And they're silly.

I took my love and I took it down. I climbed a mountain and I ate a clown. 

So yeah. I want to know the REAL lyrics of full songs. I'm slow at it. I do a little at a time. This week I've worked on "Hallelujah". I'm proud of myself. I know most of the lyrics now...I mean of the lyrics that are mostly sung.  I'm not ambitious enough to memorize all of Cohen's lyrics.

I stop at the maybe-there's-a-God verse.

Last night I chose my next song.

Moreton Bay.

It's a beautiful song and fairly easy to sing. Well, if I have the lyrics in front of me.

The lyrics are very difficult for me.

I've decided to work on it two lines at a time. Maybe two lines a day.

I know. That's pathetic.  But what can I say? My memory is awful.

Anyway....

So today I've been walking around the house belting out.

One Sunday Morning as I went walking
By Brisbane waters I chanced to stray.

I'm singing it over and over.

I might drive Tim and his cousin nuts.

I get the feeling that they're not fond of my singing.  

Which kind of makes me want to sing more and more.

I'm wicked that way.

To my defense, though,  they talk a lot.  So...my thing is singing a lot.

I think we're even.

Do any of you like to sing?  Are you good with lyrics?  Breathing? Hitting high notes?  Hitting any notes?

And if you're Australian, what are your favorite traditional Australian songs? I mean like folk songs, anthems...those kinds of things. 


I've decided to upload a clip of me singing the two lines of the song.   That way you can see my progress.   Or lack of.