Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Opinion of Melbourne

One of the big questions of our trip:  How would we feel about Melbourne?  Would I like it as much as Sydney?  Would I like it less?  More?

By the time we got to Melbourne, I was tired of big cities. I had minimal interest in going to the CBD.   It's not Sydney's fault.  In the past few years, I've felt my love for big cities decreasing.  I saw it happening in London, in New York City, and in Washington D.C.

Months ago, I had seriously considered decreasing our city time in Australia and increasing our small-town time, but I didn't get around to doing it.  Also, I had brought it up to Tim and Jack one day. Neither of them had seemed eager to subtract Sydney or Melbourne time.  

So...we had seven nights in Sydney and ten nights in Melbourne.

Fortunately we weren't staying in the Melbourne CBD.  We stayed in St. Kilda. St. Kilda is loud and wild with drunk party people at night, but it's peaceful during the day.  Plus there are a ton of Rainbow Lorikeets. I was absolutely delighted with that.  

I liked St. Kilda.

I didn't like leaving it behind to go to the CBD.

The CBD was crowded and overwhelming, though I won't say I disliked it.  On our first day there, we went to Federation Square.  There was a public dance class that we watched for a few minutes.   The whole thing had a really good vibe to it. I felt very happy to be there. I think that was my favorite CBD moment.

On our last Melbourne day, we went to the Victoria Market and I went on a souvenir shopping spree.   I bought an I Love Melbourne t-shirt.  And I felt the love. I truly did.

Now I don't. 

Why?

Halls Gap.

My love for Halls Gap blew it all away.

I thought the Melbourne CBD was fairly great, even though I'm no longer a fan of such things.

I thought St. Kilda was awesome—a place I'd definitely want to return to.

But the love greatly diminished after I met Halls Gap.

St. Kilda might have a few Rainbow Lorikeets. Yeah.

Halls Gap has Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Gang Gang Cockatoos, Crimson Rosellas, Emus, kangaroos....all kinds of things.  

Halls Gap was definitely my favorite leg of the trip.  Melbourne was second best. But when I think about it, my favorite days of the Melbourne section of our trip, was when we went on day trips to Healesville and Daylesford.  

Unless my feelings change, I'm thinking if we're blessed enough to return to Australia someday, I'd like to spend most of our time in small towns.  We'll see if Tim and Jack feel the same way.   If not, I'm sure we can figure out some sort of compromise.