Some of My Reasons For Loving Jaclyn Moriarty

Today I went to the library and picked up a Jaclyn Moriarty book: A Corner of White.


I'm on only page 14, and I don't quite understand what's going on yet; but I have high hopes of liking it.

Before I read more, though, I wanted to take the time to sing out praises for one of my favorite Aussie writers. (my other favorite, btw, is Jaclyn's sister, Liane)

Anyway, here are some reasons I love Moriarty.

1. I love her young adult books about kids at the two Sydney high schools. It's not quite a series, because you don't need to read the books in order.  But the books do connect in various ways.  

The books are told through letters, essays, and other writings.  It's fun easygoing reading—kind of like Bridget Jones Diary type stuff.   

2. Jack has read some of her books and loved them.  This is a big deal because he's one of those reluctant reader kids. Here's some trivia. I'm not sure if I mentioned this last year, but we had another incident in Australia. Well, in 2009 we lost two cameras in Sydney. In 2013, we lost Jack's backpack which included, not a camera, but a Nintendo 3DS and a Jaclyn Moriarty book.  Fortunately, with the help of friends and kind people, we were able to get it back.  

3. I loved The Spell Book of Listen Taylor, Jaclyn Moriarty's adult novel. In some ways I found it very cathartic. There were aspects of the book that I related to that I don't think I've encountered in other types of fiction. There was a feeling of Oh...finally. SOMEONE out there understands.    

4. I love that Jaclyn Moriarty responds to comments on her blog, and she does so with so much kindness.  She graciously responds to compliments. She has a self-deprecating sense of humor.  She takes the time to visit the blogs of people who comment and she gives them compliments.  Well, I don't know if she does that all the time.  But I see at least one example.

She says to one one person:

Thank you so much, The Bookish Manicurist! I don't think I deserve any comments at all after all this time - I couldn't even remember my password for this blog - and here you are being so kind. Thank you again. And what a brilliant idea for a blog you have: I love the cover of Cracks in the Kingdom so I lo-o-o-o-ve your nail art for the book (and your generous review). Maybe I will refer to it on my blog at inside-a-dog if that's okay? Jx

Well, I'm looking at her other comments and that post, and they're equally kind. She's one of the nicest people I've seen on the internet.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment