At Home with Julia

Today I started watching the miniseries At Home with Julia.

I saw parts of it a few years ago, but now I'm watching it from the beginning and straight through.

I liked the first episode a lot. I thought it was really funny.

In the episode, Tim Mathieson has been wanting to have a date night with his partner, who happens to be Julia Gillard, the Prime Minister of Australia. She's trying to schedule time with her man, but it's not easy because she has an upcoming trip to Japan. She needs to pack.  Plus she has a ton of other things on her plate.

Then Bob Katter and other political independents are giving her grief about imported food. They want Australians to eat Australian food. Gillard assures them that, at the Lodge, they eat Australian food only.

And that's not quite true.

My favorite scene has Gillard going through their pantry, looking at all their imported food items. She lists them, and on the list, is an item from Tasmania.

It actually doesn't seem that funny when I write it down, but I thought it was hilarious when I watched it.

Another scene I like has Gillard and Mathieson entertaining Katter and the independents at The Lodge (they're intruding on the planned date night). They ask for beer, and Gillard realizes all they have is imported stuff. So she combines two different imported beers in the glasses and tells her guests that it's Tim's home brew.

Again...not so funny when I write it out.

But it's funny to watch it. At least I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment