Sound of the Kookaburra

I learned something from Instagram today.

The San Diego Zoo's account has a video of a Kookaburra, and they say that it's been used in films to simulate a monkey sound.

Then I went to this website which talks about how the sound of the Kookaburra has been used in various films to represent monkeys and/or jungles in general. The site lists some examples: Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Wizard of Oz, Swiss Family Robinson, Airplane, etc.

The site mentions Cape Fear and says, Given that a kookaburra sound is usually assumed to be a monkey, I’d like to note that there are neither kookaburras nor monkeys native to the American South. That's pretty funny.

I wonder if there are monkeys that sound like Kookaburras.

I just found this website. It has a variety of monkey sounds.

I listened to all. None of them sound like a Kookaburra, and none of them give me that jungle feeling. Movies and Kookaburras have given me false expectations in life.

The Howler Monkey's call is pretty cool, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment