Embarrassed of Disfigurement

I've been watching Madeline West on House Husbands and recently saw her also on Satisfaction. I decided to see if she's been in any short films.

So...today I found her in one called Faces, directed by Nick Kozakis. The film is available on YouTube.

West plays a woman whose son won't give her the time of day because half her face is disfigured from severe scaring.  He's embarrassed of her.  During the scenes where he's a teenager, I wasn't too shocked or bothered. Teens tend to be embarrassed of their parents whether they're disfigured or not.  I mean maybe not all the time, but I think it's a fairly common and known thing.

Okay, but then this continues with the son and mother even when he grows up.That's really inexcusable. The mother may have a disfigured face, but the son has a disfigured soul.

I'd like to imagine the movie is unrealistic and that most people (at least adult versions of themselves) wouldn't avoid disfigured family members.  But who knows....

It was a good movie, though, and I loved the ending.  For me, it was cathartic in a weird way.  Like a very satisfying guilt trip. Usually, though, it bothers me a lot to imagine someone having to live with a crippling amount of guilt. But with this movie, for some reason, it didn't bother me at all.