Helpful Advice from The Saddle Club

I've been watching the first season of The Saddle Club.

On an episode, I watched today, Carole (Keenan Macwilliam) feels conflicted about her happiness regarding a pregnant horse, because she's still in mourning over the death of the beloved horse Cobalt.  Plus, Carole's still struggling over the death of her mother. Carole's father (Christopher Kirby) advises her to let herself feel multiple emotions at once.

This is the kind of advice I need to hear.

I struggle with conflicting feelings.  For me, I think it's more often about my feelings towards others. I feel guilty because I'll decide I don't like someone and then the next thing I know I'm feeling warm towards them. Or I'm having a great time with them.  How can I laugh with someone I despise? How can I open up to them?  When I do these things, it makes me feel wishy-washy and weak. Or it makes me feel I've judged someone wrongly.

But what Carole's dad said makes me realize it's okay. I can both adore and despise someone. I don't have to make it a black and white issue.

There is no one in this world that I have to hate completely.

There is no one in this world that I have to love completely.

I can love and hate by the moment. Sometimes I can do both at the same time.

I can change my mind about someone and then change it back again a few minutes later.