Separating From Your Beloved Family Members

Johnny Depp isn't the only one who has problems separating from his dogs.  I just read this sad post from a Singaporean who migrated to Australia. He talks about missing his beloved Jack Russell Terrier and hopes that someday he'll be able to bring him to Australia.

There were three main reasons why we never ended up moving to Australia. One of them was the fact that I didn't want to leave our cats behind. I also couldn't imagine them enduring the flight and then the long quarantine. The thought of it makes me depressed.

And yeah. I'm sad when we leave our cat (no longer plural) to go away for a few weeks. But we manage to deal with it. If you're the type that can't tolerate leaving pets behind; then I think it's best to be one of those people who rarely travel.

Because it bothers me, to some extant, and I like to travel, we have declared that we're not going to get any more animals. We'll be the type who travels a lot and doesn't have to feel sad about our furry friends being left behind.  Though there are moments where I consider whether I'd prefer the alternative—be one of those people who has a house full of animals, but never travels anywhere. I'd have cats, rabbits, parrots, and chickens in the backyard...maybe also some lizards.

Oh...and crickets! Well, some crickets would be for the lizards meals. But other crickets would be off-limits, because they'd be my loud friends.

I think I prefer the traveling scenario, though, because animals eventually get sick and die. I hate that. My cricket is getting upwards in age. I dread the day that I wake up and find him dead in the cage.  I'm really going to miss the chirping. It's become such a big part of my life.