The Substitute Commander, Crazy Behavior, Gratitude, and Videos with a Twist

1. Started to watch an episode of Sea Patrol.

There's a guest-star I recognize.

Maybe I saw him in Rake?

2. Saw, from IMDb, that I'm right.

The actor is Geoff Morrell, and I would have seen him on Rake.

3. Saw that Morrell was also on season two of Packed to the Rafters.

4. Liked Geoff Morrell's character. He seems very complex and mysterious.

I can't tell if he's crazy-good, crazy-bad, or a little bit of both.

He's the substitute commander while Mike (Ian Stenlake) is recovering from a injury.

He publicly berates Kate (Lisa McCune), and seems crazy-mean. But then when she goes to talk to him, he defends himself in a very rational way.  Also, later it appears that he was the one in the right regarding their argument.

Now I just saw him going crazy about breakfast eggs. He demands that everyone throw their eggs in the garbage, because the eggs are bad. Bomber (Kirsty Lee Allan) insists the eggs are fine.

Are the eggs fine? Is the substitute commander having a mini-breakdown? Or does he know something about the eggs that no one else knows?

5. Started to get the idea that the substitute commander is crazy-mean.

When Kate is visiting Mike in the hospital, the substitute commander gives Swain (Matthew Holmes) permission to leave the ship. Then when Swain's gone and Kate returns, the substitute commander gives Kate a hard time about not knowing where Swain is.

It's like me hiding our cat Max and then berating Tim and/or Jack for not keeping a good eye on Max.

Well, it might not be a horrible test if we were all home and I wanted to see if they paid enough attention to Max.

But it would be different if I hid Max when they were out at the grocery store; then when they returned, I asked them where Max was and then scolded them for not knowing.

6. Felt bad for the substitute commander. He seems to have a brain problem. Maybe a brain tumor?

7. Obtained two life lessons from watching that episode of Sea Patrol.

A) If one of my peeps starts acting completely irrational and unfair (which they do sometimes), it's okay to be annoyed, and angry. But I should consider the possibility that their brain might be having a malfunction.

Actually I realize I learned three lessons.

Continuing...

B) If I have strong feelings and ideas, and everyone else is looking at me like I'm nuts, I should consider the possibility that I might be the one having a brain dysfunction.

C) Just because someone has a brain dysfunction, it doesn't mean they're always going to be 100% wrong about things.

In the episode, the substitute commander became angry because the crew didn't examine a ship that had called out to them for help. They just let the ship go. Later they learned the ship crew had killed someone, and they were doing drug stuff. The substitute commander had been right after all...despite having a brain tumor.

8. Started watching another episode of Sea Patrol.

9. Decided that Sea Patrol is one of my favorite Australian TV shows.

It's might not be super intelligent. It's not deep. It's not brain food.  But it IS very exciting, and I like the cast a lot.

10. Read a Welsh Girl in Australia's post about people feeling blessed to live in Australia, because they've been blessed with that blessing.

Strangely, it didn't make me feel jealous. Instead it made me feel very blessed that I'm obsessed with
Australia.

I'm very glad that Australia came into my life. I'm grateful for the Australian TV shows I watch. I'm grateful for the Australian music I've grown to love. I'm grateful for the Australian books I've read. I'm grateful for the Australian people I've met, and/or talked to. I'm grateful for our three visits to Australia. I'm grateful for the Australian food we've eaten. I'm grateful for all the learning I've done because of Australia. I'm grateful for all my dreams about Australia.

It's not all been pretty. But for the most part, I think my obsession with Australia has greatly enriched my life.

11. Intrigued by scene in Sea Patrol.

Buffer (Jeremy Lindsay Taylor) is being forced to dig his own grave. There's a guy pointing a gun at him. Buffer starts venting to this guy about his girlfriend problems.

I'm guessing he's trying to humanize himself—get his assassin to see him as a likable person he doesn't want to kill.  But maybe he's also thinking, I'm about to die. I might as well take the chance to have a fulfilling monologue.

12. Went to the Triple J 2014 list.

Today I'm going to be listening to the 93rd song which is Vance Joy's "Georgia".

I'm happy about that, because I like Vance Joy. Hopefully, I'll like this particular song.

13. Started watching the video for "Georgia".

I wonder if it's about the US state Georgia.

14. Wished the video would be about The Walking dead.

15. Saw people with guns.

Are they going to shoot zombies?

16. Saw men dying from land mines.

I think this is a regular war thing and not a zombie war thing.

17. Got the idea that the song is about a woman named Georgia, and not the US state.

18. Thought the ending of the video was very interesting.

So...there are these men with guns who are trying to escape from land mines. One man gets severely injured, and his friend carries him to a quiet place. The injured man dies, and his friend then kisses him in a romantic way.

Then there are all these film crew people watching. Most of them start crying.

I'm trying to understand the meaning.  Are the film crew people supposed to be in the war area? Are they reporters? Or is it kind of meta? Are they supposed to be a film crew crying over the fictional romantic death scene?

19. Watched the end of the video again.

I'm pretty sure it's a film crew for a fictional movie and not a journalism thing.

So, there are two surprises at the end of the video. First, there's the fact that the two soldiers are more than just friends. Second, is that the scene we're seeing is fictional—part of a movie or TV show.

20. Thought it was a cool video...despite the lack of zombies and Rick Grimes.