Less Fantastic

Tim and Jack talk a lot about Shake Shack. We've visited the original in Madison Square Park and have also eaten at the duplicates in Tokyo, Washington D.C, Dallas, and Brooklyn.

From what Tim and Jack have told me, the hamburgers at the Madison Square Park Shake Shack are almost mythical. The hamburgers at the other Shake Shacks are pretty much normal hamburgers. They're not bad, but they're not very memorable.They certainly don't live up to the wonderfulness of the Madison Square Park Shake Shack hamburgers.

I think this happens a lot to fantastic restaurants who decide to expand.The copies don't live up to the original.The quality goes down.

I thought about all this after watching the trailer for the new JK Rowling movie—Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

I'm not going for an analogy here. I'm not going to say Harry Potter was the Madison Square Park and the Fantastic Beasts are the franchises.

It's more like I was trying to understand my feelings about Fantastic Beasts compared to the Harry Potter series, and Shake Shack came to mind. It's more in terms of levels of liking/loving something.

It's really not Harry Potter vs. Fantastic Beasts, though. It's the books in general vs. the movies.

The books to me are like a Shake Shack burger. There's just something so magical about the series. To me, it felt mythical.  I've never read anything like it, and after reading it, I had a difficult time reading other books. It's like going from Shake Shack to McDonalds. You long for the awesome, but have to be satisfied with mediocre. And kind of everything seems mediocre soon after reading Harry Potter.

The movies on the other hand? To me, they're okay.They're average fantasy movies. I don't think they're awful. Nor do I think they're brilliant. This goes for both the Harry Potter movies and the Fantastic Beasts ones.

If I was the boss of the universe, JK Rowling would stop making movies; stop talking about her characters on Twitter, and instead write more novels.  Of course (obviously!) that wouldn't be my top priority. It would be pretty far below Trump and all that.





How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts