The Unrealistic Solution to the Ticket Dilemma

I've been watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I just finished watching episode 3—"The Ticket Master",

It annoyed me.

In the episode, Twilight Sparkle (Tara Strong) gets invited to some kind of fancy event. She also gets an extra ticket, so she can invite a friend.

The problem is, she has many horse friends, and they all want to go to the event with her.

Twilight Sparkle has a huge, stressful decision. To makes things even more difficult, some of her friends try to bribe her with favors. Twilight Sparkle, admirably, recognizes the bribing for what it is, and puts her foot (hoof) down instead of accepting the perks.

I did wonder how the show would resolve the issue. I had no idea what I'd do. And who knows...the answer might come in handy for me someday.

Well...no. Probably not. I don't really get invited to honorable events—much less get an extra ticket that people are going to fight over. BUT a realistic and helpful answer might have helped other viewers.

One idea I had is that Twilight Sparkle could invite her longtime friend Spike, the dragon (Cathy Weseluck). To me, it seemed the most logical and fair solution. The other friends were new to Twilight Sparkle's life. Spike had more time to prove his loyalty.

But no. Instead of inviting Spike, Twilight Sparkle declared if she couldn't take all her friends, she wasn't going to the event. She ordered Spike to return the two tickets for her.

I think that's way too self-sacrificing. Why should someone miss out on something important because they have over-eager, selfish, and demanding friends.

I imagine a screenwriter getting an invite to the Oscars. A bunch of friends fight over being her plus-one. They beg. They bribe.

Should this writer not go to the Oscars because she's afraid of offending one of her friends.

I think not.

BUT everything worked out quite well for Twilight Sparkle...too well, actually.

She gets to go to the event. After sending the letter refusing the ticket, she gets a letter back. The letter includes tickets for ALL her friends.

Now what's that episode saying to the child whose parents promise to take her and one friend to Disneyland for the day? If you use some clever passive-aggressiveness, you'll get to take ALL your friends? Well, not only will you be able to take your friends but also the people temporarily pretending to be your friend.

That might work for parents and other folks with unlimited funds. But it won't work for most people.

I'm thinking now of other solutions that might have been more viable.

Besides the Spike idea....

Twilight Sparkle could have said, sorry, no to all her friends and gone alone. The problem with that is she might have been lonely at the event and resented by ALL her friends.

Better idea....

Twilight Sparkle could have created a lottery. I think then there'd be disappointment, perhaps. But there'd be less anger, resentment, begging, bribing, etc.

Yeah. I think that solution would have been fair and much more feasible than the solution offered on the show.