Romantic Koreans

I shouldn't stereotype a culture based on two pieces of evidence.

But I'm going to do it anyway.

Koreans are really good at fantasy-romance stories!!

A year or so ago, I watched a miniseries called W: Two Worlds.  It's a story about a man and woman who break the barrier between their two separate universes and come together.

Oh-Yoen-Joo (Hyo Joo Han) is doctor-daughter of a famous comic book creator.  Kang Cheol (Jong-Suk Lee) is the main character of the comics.

Their worlds collide, and it is so...damn romantic.

I am going to guess every fiction addict is like me and has sometimes fantasized that there's an alternate universe where our favorite characters are real.

W: Two Worlds totally feeds into this fantasy and does it beautifully.

Today I started watching another Korean fantasy-romance—The Beauty Inside. This one also stars Hyo Joo Han. I haven't been in crush-mode lately, but if I was, I think I'd totally be crushing on her. She's so beautiful...adorable.

Anyway....

I'm thinking that the The Beauty Inside might actually be more nightmare-romance than fantasy-romance.

Well, I guess it's fantasy in terms of being different from our reality. I wouldn't say it's wishful-thinking type fantasy.

In The Beauty Inside, a young man, Woo-Jin, is cursed with a completely new face and body every time he goes to sleep and wakes up.

He never knows what it will be.

An old man.

A beautiful woman.

An old lady.

A young boy.

He meets a woman, Hong Yi-Soo (Hyo Joo Han), and begins to have feelings for her. He talks to her on different days, with his different faces, with her not knowing she's been talking to the same person all those times.  He waits. Then when he wakes up with a handsome young face, he takes the opportunity to ask her out. She's resistant at first; then gives in. They bond. Romance is budding. All is beautiful for a couple of days. But Woo-Jin knows that as soon as he gives into his drive to fall asleep, it will end.

And I won't say anymore, because I don't want to give too much away.

I haven't finished the movie yet.

At this point, it's quite funny and happy.

I still have about 40 minutes left, though. I have a feeling something bad is going to happen. Something really sad.

And then it will be happy again. Eventually.