Season Three of Travelers

Yesterday I finished watching season 2 of the TV show Travelers.

It's my favorite show right now!

Of course, that will change as soon as I find a new favorite show or start reminiscing about a past favorite show.

But for now....

I love the premise of the show: time travelers from the future who travel by taking over the body of a person who is historically known to have died at a certain time. The traveler prevents the death, and they then become the entity living in the body.

There are some great moral questions there. A) Is there a way they could have prevented the death AND allowed the original entity to keep the body? B) Is it absolutely horrible to trick the loved ones of the deceased into believing their loved ones are still alive?

I love the characters of the show—especially the five main travelers. Last night I was trying to decide which character was my favorite, and I couldn't decide.

I think often when there's an ensemble cast, there are usually one or two characters who I like less than the others. I kind of dread when their scenes come on. This is usually the time I'll pick up my phone and do something like look through Instagram.

But with Travelers, none of the main traveler's storylines are boring to me.

I love all of them.

Anyway...I'm wondering what season 3 is going to be like (SPOILERS below)


In the last episode, the sweet alien from Galaxy Guest (Enrico Colantoni) has turned evil. I won't go into details, but his wicked plan exposes the travelers to the world and specifically the new-found friends of the travelers. 

Although the travelers were sent to the past/present to HELP humanity, they're painted as terrorists who have stolen the bodies of our loved ones and want to harm humanity.

The show ends with the five travelers being painfully rejected by the 21st century folks they've grown to love.

Will season three break the usual convention of time travelers being a big secret?

I think I've seen this one other time, and that was with John Birmingham's Axis of Time series.  I don't remember the details of the series, but I do remember being surprised that the time travelers were out of the time-traveling closet.

Could that work with Travelers?

I suppose it could.

I guess one of the focuses of the story would be the travelers trying to prove they have noble intentions.

I imagine the public might divide themselves into those who support the travelers and those who want them imprisoned or executed.

There will probably be delusional people who believe they're travelers even though they're not. And delusional people who believe their still-living loved ones are travelers.

There could be some traveler groupies.

I imagine it will be harder to change the past and fix the future if the public is aware of what's happening.

I also imagine there will be traveler-hostage situations with demands for lottery numbers, horse-race winners, stock information, etc.

My OTHER idea is none of this will happen because the computer-God known as "The Director" will send people back before Galaxy-Quest-Alien-Guy did his super bad guy stuff, and he'll reset everything.

The earlier season 2 episode "17 minutes" might have been a foreshadow for this. In this episode, the five main travelers are repeatedly shot and killed in a rampage and the director keeps sending new travelers through to try and stop the tragedy.

So, we know from that episode that mishaps and mistakes can be changed.

If this happens, I predict episode one of season three will be in the timeline we left with the last episode of season 2. I think things will get desperately worse and worse; then at the end of the episode...surprise! Things will be reset.

Although I am doubting this will be the case. Because according to IMDb, the first episode of season 3 is missing all the rejecting loved ones of the travelers. 

If there was going to be an episode showing everything has turned to shit, I would imagine these people would need to be a part of everything turning to shit. For example, I picture Grant McClaren (Eric McCormack) trying to talk to his not-wife (Leah Cairns) and her telling him to go to hell.

Leah Cairns and the other main, tricked 21st century folks, return in the second episode.

I'm thinking....

Even if the first possibility happens—that the show permanently changes to a time-travelers-out-of-the-closet state, it's kind of strange that these certain actors are missing.

Oh!

Wait!

Now I see that some of these actors ARE there in the first episode.  How did I miss that?

It's only Leah Cairns that's missing.

There's a part of me that's thinking maybe IMDb added their names in the last five minutes. But it's probably more likely that my faulty brain missed it.

Oops.

Well....I still wonder why McClaren's wife is going to be missing.

I guess we'll get the answers when the show returns to Netflix.

Season 2 was released on December 26 2017, so I'm guessing season 3 will be released around the same time.  Well, except in 2018 rather than 2017.

Unless...Netflix has some time-traveling abilities.