When Music Hurts

I was cleaning the cat bowls when I felt this awfulness—a mix of extreme sadness and fear.  An awful foreboding....A trapped-in-hell kind of feeling.

I had a similar feeling a few nights ago.

In both of these shitty moments, I had been listening to music.  A certain style of music.  I'm not sure what the style is called, but it's like the Lumineers.

That's what I was listening to when cleaning the cat bowls.  

I asked Alexa to play "Cleopatra" and moments later, I felt really horrible.


The Lumineers are probably my favorite music group.  So this kind of sucks.

There was this other very haunting music.  I loved it. I think maybe I heard it while waking from a dream.  So for me, it had a magical dream-like feeling to it.  Then later, I tried listening to it.  A part of me loved it, but another part of me felt too haunted by it.  

I just searched to find the song.  It's called "Some things Cosmic" by Angel Olson.  It's SO beautiful...but also painful (for me).

Lyrics and the melody of songs can influence my emotions.  But I think the biggest thing for me is associations.  If I hear a song during a difficult moment, later when hearing the song....the negative emotions will return.  

Or it could be that I heard the song during a happy or neutral time but because of life circumstances, that memory is now bittersweet and painful.  

Oh!  I think I remember what song made me very distressed the other night.

I think it was Lord Huron.

They're going to be in concert right near our townhouse tomorrow night.  I saw them on the coming-soon billboard during my walk.  I Googled to see who they are; then listened to some of their music.  I liked them. They reminded me a lot of the Lumineers.  I thought it was cool that they'd be singing near me.  I even considered walking down the street towards the concert, so I can hear them a bit.  

But....

Then I listened to them as I was trying to fall asleep, and I felt like the world was ending.

Actually, the world-ending-thing doesn't really describe what I'm feeling.  Because the end of the world...though very sad, would also be kind of thrilling.

What I'm feeling is more like what I feel when watching a really dark, depressing horror movie.  Like the original Pet Sematary or The Ring.  (Rather than horror movies that have a bit of hope and/or humor)

Anyway, back to Lord Huron.  I think their music is what gave me the dark-depressing-horror-movie feeling.


For the past few months, my happy-comfort song has been David Bowie's "Magic Dance" from  Labyrinth  (which I don't think I've actually ever seen).  

For me, it's probably the theme song for our townhouse life.  

I'm wondering...if I stop listening to the song and then hear it again in a few years....will the feelings I have be good or bad?

There is some really awful stuff going on right now in our lives. There is some painful stuff.  But there are also good things.

I have no idea how I'll end up feeling about 2021 in the future.

I mean I don't think I'm going to look back at 2021 and think, That was a wonderful year!

No. That's not going to happen.

But I wonder if I'll think: Despite the shit of 2021, I still have some good memories. 

OR...will I try to block out memories of 2021?  And if the latter is the case, I probably won't ever want to listen to "Magic Dance".

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about the awful stuff. The down side of having a "soundtrack to life" and always having music on is sometimes it attaches itself to dark moments.

    In another moment of blogger synchronicty, I just finished a HUGE and beautifully printed book on the history and making of Labyrinth, so the whole soundtrack including "Magic Dance" has been on high rotation. Since I'm onto a Dark Crystal book now it will be staying that way, along with that soundtrack. I'm a huge Henson fan and love his fantasy films.

    Hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I feel you summarized my whole damn blog post so much more eloquently with "The downside of having a soundtrack to life and always having music on is sometimes it attaches itself to dark moments".

      I've been listening to music more lately. I've been trying to be less music-ignorant. But now I'm thinking I should maybe listen a bit less.

      That's very cool about Labyrinth...and the synchronocity.

      The song came to me via a Netflix channel on YouTube. Though it's one of the channels I subscribe to, I usually end up bypassing the videos. But that one caught my attention. And then I read about the baby. Though now I can't remember what I learned.

      Wait. Maybe he works for the Henson company now?

      Delete
    2. We write to work stuff out for ourselves. If other people read it and get the point, then we did good.

      Yes, the baby in the video (and movie) is the son of the conceptual artist, and one of the puppet builders. He went into that business too and worked with them on the new Dark Crystal show designing the puppets.

      In the song, the baby in the recording studio wouldn't make any noise, so David Bowie said, "I did the "Laughing Gnome" I can do this" and made the noises himself.

      Delete
    3. That's so adorable and fascinating...Bowie doing the baby noises. I'm going to need to listen to that again!

      Delete
    4. Well...I listen to it almost everyday. But....I mean watch the video and pay attention to the baby. It's been several weeks since I watched the actual video.

      Delete