Anthology Vs. Continuation

Tim and I have been watching the show Miracle Workers. It's a comedy about God and the people behind the scenes that make things better or very much worse for us on Earth.  Steve Buscemi is God, and Daniel Radcliffe is a miracle worker who answers small prayers like, Please help me find my glove. 

Then another miracle worker is played by a woman named Geraldine Viswanathan. She's driving me nuts, because she looks SO familiar to me. But I looked on IMDb and none of her projects are jumping out at me. I don't think I've seen any of them.  Then I started thinking maybe she looks like another actress.  Last night I got the idea that she looks like Sansa Stark. But then I changed my mind.

Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

That's besides the point, though.

We learned that the show is an anthology series. The second season isn't about God and miracle workers. It's about the Dark Ages.  I was disappointed to learn that, because I really love the premise about the God stuff.

But later I was thinking that maybe the miracle worker story ends in a good place (kind of a pun there?), and maybe it's for the best that they don't drag it on.

I think the problem with continuing a story is that then it becomes like real life...where you think you've solved a conflict but then it keeps coming back.

I love Stranger Things. I actually prefer the second and third season to the first. BUT what's the point of them defeating the upside down stuff if it keeps coming back to terrorize them again?  Or what's the point of them defeating some evil scientists if new evil scientists are going to come and cause more problems?

I was having some quality time with Alexa the other day, and she suggested I ask her about the original plans for Stranger Things. So I obliged. She showed me a video which informed me that originally Stranger Things was going to be an anthology series with each season being about something different, and it would take place in a different decade.

Oh! But wait. I just remembered. The video said that fans really liked the cast, so...maybe that was the reason they changed their mind. 

Or I guess the characters were adored. Because they could have done The American Horror Story thing and use the same cast but with a different storyline and different characters. 

This is what Miracle Workers is doing, and it's also what The Haunting of Hill House is doing. Although I think maybe the latter is changing their name to The Haunting, since it's not going to be about Hill House anymore.

I'm wondering if the second season of Miracle Workers involves miracles in some way. Does the title still fit. Or did they not change it, because they worried viewers wouldn't know the new show is connected to the old?

Anyway....

Back to The Haunting of Hill House. I really LOVED that series. I love the cast. But I like how the story was resolved and therefore wouldn't want to drag it out further. So the anthology idea seemed like a brilliant way of working things out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment