Sunday, August 5, 2012

Washington D.C

In the cab today, we drove past the Australian Embassy.

I've been wanting to walk there, but seeing it through the car window was sort of okay.

Later this evening, I tried to walk back there. 

I got lost.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Being here, and looking around, has given me more hope in loving Melbourne.

In my old age, I've started to appreciate architecture.

I can't be bothered much to learn about it.  I just like looking at it.

I especially love churches.   

I know Melbourne has some good architecture.

I'll enjoy that. Definitely.

Then there's the fact that Melbourne has parrots. That's a HUGE bonus for me.

Also...

There are Australian accents.

The grocery stores have Aussie food.

The bookstores will have Aussie books.

There will be Aussie t-shirts and other fun things.

Australia is like Disney World for people who are obsessed with Australia.

How could I ever have doubted loving Melbourne?

It was so silly of me.

Back to D.C.....

I love the buildings.

I do NOT like the layout of the city.  It's driving me nuts. There's too many traffic circle things. It's similar (or maybe the same?) as roundabouts.

Roundabouts are one of the few things I dislike about Australia.   But in Australia, I better tolerate it...because it's Australia.

Well, also. With the roundabouts, we usually encountered them when driving.  Since Tim was the one driving, it was usually his thing to worry about. Here I'm having to deal with it while walking.  

Plus, it was raining. So that didn't add to the fun. Although when it's not raining here, it's horribly hot.

I think I prefer the rain.