Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Third Quote From One of My Favorite Australians

Peter Singer says:

Intensive animal production is a heavy use of fossil fuels and a major source of pollution of both air and water. it release large quantities of methane and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. We are risking unpredictable changes to the climate of our planet--which means ultimately the lives of billions of people, not to mention the extinction of untold thousands of species of plants and animals unable to cope with changing conditions--for the sake of more hamburgers. A diet heavy in animal products, catered to by intensive animal production is a disaster for animals, the environment, and the health of those who eat it.

I already knew all this, but I think Singer summarizes it pretty well.

The Sydney Morning Herald had a fun article about it a few weeks ago.   It shows each type of diet and how many kilometers of car driving it would equal--well, in terms of the effect on the environment.   If the amount of kilometers would actually GET me somewhere, I'd TOTALLY eat meat.  Screw the animals.

No, I'm joking. 

Have I mentioned enough about how much I love Peter Singer?  I'm ready to rename this blog The Girl Who Totally Loved Peter Singer.

Although I am kind of waiting for the ball to drop--for him to say something that I totally disagree with and find completely offensive. You know something like he thinks breast milk is bad for babies or he's totally against homeschooling.

Will I still be able to love Singer if he says something I strongly disagree with? I don't know. Maybe? Maybe not.

Well, I still love South Park and they had a very anti-homeschooling episode once. So there!
I'm tolerant of people who believe differently than me--well, at least about 75% of the time.