Pat Wilson

Who is Pat Wilson? I'm going to guess that he or she is in the television or film industry. I say this because of where he/she is on the list. I might be totally wrong though.

The fan in the office is making awful noises. I just want to tell you that. It's kind of annoying me. I'm trying to drown it out with a song from Jesus Christ Superstar.

I'm amazed that men like you can be so shallow, thick and slow.
There is not a man among you who know or cares if I come or go.


And speaking of songs, Lord Wiki says Wilson is a singer. She's known as a one-hit wonder. Her big hit was "Bop Girl". Isn't that connected to Nicole Kidman in some way? Was she in the video?

Okay. Yes. I'm watching the video on YouTube. Whoever uploaded it says that Kidman is in it.

I can't help but like this song. It's very fun and cute.

As for Wilson, she was born on 11 June 1948. She's about three months older than my mom. Lord Wiki doesn't say where she was born. And he pretty much skips over her childhood.

When Wilson was sixteen, she met Ross Wilson. This is how Wilson ended up with the name Wilson. Wilson was a singer and songwriter. Pat (not-yet-Wilson) saw him perform in the group The Pink Finks. Wow. I just listened to them recently, and I wrote about them. But I have no idea why. Wait. I can search my blog.....

Ah! It was Richard Franklin, the movie director. He was a drummer for the Pink Finks. See, I didn't remember the band name. But when I looked for a YouTube video from them, I got "Louie Louie". And I did remember writing about that.

In the late 1960's, Mr. Wilson went to England to become a member of another Australian group called Procession. I guess they had been touring/working over there. Pat (not-yet-Wilson) went over with him. Then they returned to Australia, and got married.

In the beginning of the 1970's, Mr. Wilson formed a band called Daddy Cool. Have I heard of that before? Maybe. Here's a video of one of their songs.

While her husband was having fun with his band, Wilson was busy with pregnancy and having an advice column. Her pen-name for that was Mommy Cool.

Ross Wilson wrote "Bop Girl" for his wife to perform. It became a hit in 1983.

If I'm reading this right, director Gilliam Armstrong made the video. Wow.

Maybe I already knew that though. I don't know. Well, I should say...maybe I already learned that. If I had learned it, I had forgotten it. I did remember Nicole Kidman though. I give myself credit for that.

"Bop Girl" sort of reminds me a lot of the Robin Sparkle video on How I Met Your Mother. Maybe the song in the show was inspired by that song?

The Pop Trash Addict blog has an entry on "Bop Girl". Mike says, The song, the cover art and the music video all encapsulate the essence of the decade that taste forgot. He likes the song though, and thinks it's great that Nicole Kidman's fame has brought it back some popularity.

A few minutes ago, I watched a Bop Girl talent show performance with someone named Danni. I wasn't sure if it was Danni Minogue, or not. Mike says it was. It look to me like they're lip-syncing. Well, I mean it sounds very much like the same singing in the original video.
This is kind of neat. Talking Heads has an interview with Ross Wilson. It's from 2007. In it, Pat Wilson and Ross Wilson's second wife talk. They seem very good-natured about their roles as former wife and current wife. I mean they talk with each other....or at least it looks that way from the transcript. I think it's nice to see current and former wives getting along. It's also nice to see people getting along with their ex-husbands or ex-wives. It does happen...sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going to make this a short post. There's really not much more I want to learn or write about.

Plus, earlier the name Sarafina randomly popped into my head and out of my mouth. I have no idea why, and I want to find out what that's all about. It could be Australia related, but maybe not.

And I have to help Jack search for his missing Nintendo D.S case.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this song before, or Pat Wilson. Cute song though; grows on you after a couple of listens. And it's a pretty good concept on the video - mimicking still photos put together to create to appearance of movement, but the 'still' images being video, so the stills themselves have movement.

    And, yeah, that's Dannii Minogue in the (not talent, but) variety show, and they are lip-syncing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    It's funny. When I wrote the post, I had the expectations that every single Australian would know the song. It's silly because I'm sure I don't know about every American one-hit wonder.

    ReplyDelete