Misplaced Blame

 I know we're not supposed to dwell on regrets. 

But sometimes I do.

My two main regrets are usually:

A) Quitting film school. 

B) Moving to Texas from NYC

Today I started dwelling on another one. The fact that it took me about twenty years to get back to writing screenplays. 

And where did I put that blame on that one?

This blog.

Which then led me to blaming my Australia-obsession. Because that's why I started this blog, and that's why I spent so much of my time writing on this blog.

BUT then I came to my senses.

Neither my blog nor my Australia obsession had anything to do with my super long hiatus from screenwriting.

It's not like I was busy writing screenplays and then I quit, because I became too busy with Australia.

No. I had quit years before.

What happened is I wrote a screenplay about time travel. I'm barely smart enough to watch and understand time traveling stories. I am NOT smart enough to write a time traveling screenplay. I think it fried my brain a bit.  

I mean I don't actually think the screenplay was that bad. But I think I overexerted my brain cells. And I think it made me lose the desire to write more screenplays.

The other thing is, I lost my Final Draft account. Or I lost the disk. Well....whatever. I didn't have access to it anymore.  And it's not cheap to re-buy.

I think in the last few years, I had some brief, vague desires to write screenplays. But I was too cheap to buy Final Draft and too lazy to do research on which free programs are decent.

Anyway, the good thing about the last regret is....though, I can't erase the past, I can write screenplays in the present and future. So it's not a completely lost cause.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment