Sunday, August 24, 2008

Wilsons Promontory

I've been reading The Proving Ground by G. Bruce Knecht.   It's about the tragic 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht races--where mother nature proved to be quite the foe.

The other day I sat in our old breastfeeding rocking chair (which we never really used for breastfeeding, btw).   I read the book while Jack played Sims 2 at the computer desk.

I got to a part in the book about Wilsons Promontory.   I think the author was talking about weather forecasts being done there.  Less than five minutes later, I took a look at the Sim that Jack was creating.   Guess what the name was.....

Wilson.

I swear I did not mention any of the book outloud to Jack (or myself for that matter)--nor was he close enough to read the book.

It was a bit eerie.

Here's something cool though.   I looked up Wilson Promontory on Wikipedia.   At the bottom of the page, they have a link to Matthew Flinder's writing from Project Gutenberg.   That might be interesting to read.

Matthew Flinders is the guy who wanted Australia to be named Australia.   He promoted the name, but was pretty much ignored by Banks the rich Botanist and others.   Flinders died thinking they were all going to keep calling the southern piece of land, Terra Australis.

I don't know why, but that story makes me so sad.   Maybe I can relate to having ideas and no one taking them seriously.    Woe is me.   And woe for Flinders.    I will read your book, Matthew.  And I will listen to you.  Okay?    Well, as soon as we get a little less obsessed with playing The Sims 2.

Anyway.......

Back to Wilson and his Promontory.   Every time, I see that place on the Australia map, I think of that Shakespearean song from the musical Hair.