Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Bull Ants

My favorite place in Sydney was probably Sydney Wildlife World.  It was walking distance from our hotel, so we got a membership.

Jack and I went there almost everyday.

My favorite exhibit was the Bull Ants.   I don't know.   I had a thing for these little creatures.  No, I didn't think they were cute.   I'm not that odd.   I just found them to be absolutely fascinating.

In the exhibit at Wildlife World, the ants carry dead ants and drop them off at some kind of make-shift cemetery.  I thought this was amazing, but had the hardest time figuring out where the actual cemetery was.   I would sit there with Jack and watch one of the ants--tracking him.   Total  stalking.   But the clever little bastards wouldn't let on to where the cemetery was.    I think it was top secret or something.

I did finally figure it out--I think from asking someone who works there.   They must have thought I was totally nuts.   Who is this weird American who comes in here everyday?   And why is she asking questions about the Bull Ants?

Later, we went to Port Stephens and got to see wild and free Bull Ants.  For me, it was like seeing a celebrity.   Look!  A Real Bull Ant!

One day, I took a walk alone at the beach.   On the far end of the One Mile Beach are these rocks, tide pools, and....maybe quicksand.  It kind of separates One Mile Beach from the other beach.  I forgot the name of the other beach, but it's a nude beach.   That's all I know.

Anyway....

I'm not really sure if I stepped in real quicksand, but it seemed like real quicksand.   I thought it was so cool, although I did get my foot out after a few seconds.   I figure that's how most people die in quicksand.  They think to themselves.  Oh My God!  How Cool.  Real Quicksand.  Wait until I tell my friends back home.   And then they sink.

After the quicksand, I sat down on a rock.   I had my deep thoughts--probably wishing upon a piece of sand that we could move to Australia.   Then I felt a sharp pain on my leg.   It was painful enough for me to cry out.   I looked down and I THINK I saw a Bull Ant.   It all happened so fast.  I think I brushed it off.

Although I was in a bit of pain, I was so excited to be bit by an actual Bull Ant.  I felt really honored.

Now though... I'm not sure whether it really was a Bull Ant.   I read somewhere that they cause a great amount of pain.   The thing I felt was worse than any other insect bite I've gotten before, but I've never been stung by anything like a bee, wasp, etc.   I'm not sure if I was bitten/stung by something that was milder than a Bull Ant.  Or if it was a Bull Ant and I'm just not that sensitive to that type of pain.   I usually don't mind blood tests or shots.  They rarely hurt me.  So, I guess it is a possibility.   

Anyway, in honor of my love for Bull Ants.  Here's a video I found on YouTube.