Heroic People

I don't know much about Tim Ferguson.   But from what I see in this video....I like him.



He has Multiple Sclerosis and has an adorable attitude about the whole thing. It's kind of like Adam Hills and his missing foot or Michael J. Fox and his Parkinson's Disease.

I'm inspired by people who have a physical problem and have a sense of humor about the whole thing rather than a persistent woe is me attitude.

It's hard for me to believe that people like this never feel sorry for themselves.  I imagine they at least have private moments of self-pity.  But they don't let their problems get in the way of enjoying life.

Today I also watched this video about an organization that helps disabled people have surfing experiences.



It takes a lot of work to get some of them into the water. I mean not in terms of coaxing but basic logistics. Well, actually it's not really basic. It's quite complicated. A part of me watched it and thought. Yikes. Isn't it easier to just skip the whole thing.

What's the point?

It made me think of the fantastic Walking-Dead-meets-The-Hunger-Games book trilogy I just finished reading: The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It's a story that takes place a century or so after the zombie apocalypse.     

One of the main themes in the trilogy is the choice between staying safe or taking risks.

Should you stay behind the barrier or cross it?

It seems the smart thing would be to avoid danger and stay safe.

But if you're too safe, life might become bland. Empty. Depressing.

No, it's not the safety that does this to you. It's what you miss (from staying behind the wall) that does it. 

The other thing is....

The walls might not keep you safe forever.  Eventually, they'll probably tumble down.  (This is especially the case when zombie hordes are in the picture).

So with that in mind, I'd say if someone has a disability and they want to go surfing, it's probably a good thing for them to try to do it. 


How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   


The Dead are Online  a novel by Dina Roberts 


2 comments:

  1. Well that is really cool about the surfing. Kids and I watched it. =)
    I love seeing fun things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HappyOrganist:

    I'm glad you and the kids liked the video.

    I thought it was really cool.

    ReplyDelete