Thursday, August 16, 2012

Australia

Australia has its Australia Day.

I have my own Australia day.

And that's today. I think.  Probably. I'm not 100% sure.

I'm maybe 99.5% sure.

To honor the occasion (once I managed to remember), I watched this video.  



Earlier today, before remembering the occasion, I watched Julia Gillard struggle with difficult carbon tax questions.

I thought about how it's very abnormal for an American to spend this much brain time on the whole Australian carbon tax thing.   So, I thought, I should just go ahead and consider myself Australian.

Screw the lack of citizenship and my zip code.

Maybe instead of considering myself not-really-australian, I can be not-technically-Australian.

But...no.

It might not be possible.

Why, you ask.

Well....

I don't care for Vegemite.

I call Tim Tams cookies, not biscuits.  

I don't say bloke or Chrissy.

Thongs irritate the space between my toes.  

I don't blush and giggle when people say fanny pack or root.

So....look. I guess I'll just have to go on being what I am: That weird American who's obsessed with Australia.