Reference to Aussie Television in The Goldfinch

I've been reading Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch...and totally loving it, by the way.

It reminds me of a John Irving kind of thing, and it also reminds me of Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole.

I just read a part in which a guy named Boris talks about living in a town in the Northern Territory. He mentions watching Australian soap operas, and that, in itself, was exciting for me. But I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if he actually mentioned the name of the soap opera?

And he did...McLeod's Daughters!

Not only that....

Boris didn't just mention the name of the show, he talks about the character and mentions the death of a particular main character.

Speaking of Australia and The Goldfinch, there are some other connections.

They're making a movie.

I've looked at the cast.

Nicole Kidman plays the NYC socialite Mrs. Barbour. I actually wasn't thinking of Kidman just now. I totally forgot about her but was reminded when I went to IMDb.

The actress I was thinking of is Ashleigh Cummings. Though I forgot her name, so that's why I was checking out IMDb.

Cummings plays Pippa, a girl the main character (Theo, not Boris) has a crush on.

Any other Australians in the cast?

I shall look.....

Well, I don't see anyone.

And I just checked to see if any of the movie is being filmed in Australia.

Nope.

It's New Mexico, New York, and the Netherlands.

I checked, because if it was filmed in Australia; then a lot of the bit parts would probably be played by Aussies.




How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-beloved to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts