Back to Wonderland

 I watched the Aussie show Wonderland, on Hulu, five years ago and loved it.

At the time, Hulu had only season 1 and part of season 2.

I've been waiting for the rest of the series to appear AND waiting for Random.org to pick it as my next show.

Okay...to be honest, I haven't been eagerly waiting.

I mean I haven't been dreading it.

I just haven't really cared.

My usual thing is to love a show with all my heart...while I'm watching it. Then when I'm done watching it, or I'm on hiatus from watching it, the interest and love fades.

So it's not like I've been dying to watch Wonderland the last five years.

BUT I will say I was pleased when Random.org said it would be my next show.

It's on Amazon Prime now, so that's where I'm watching it. 

At first, I thought they were missing the last season, but then I came to see that it's split up differently in the U.S than it is in Australia.  

Australia has it divided into three seasons.

The U.S has it divided into two.

I'm pretty sure that's what was going on with Hulu as well. I think what I watched was probably season 1 and part of season 2...and now season 2 equals the last part of season 2 plus all of season 3.  

Anyway...it wasn't hard getting back into it after five years.  My memory was a little hazy about what had last happened but not enough to make me feel confused or lost. Either that or the show is good at hinting to what has happened in the past.

The show did have me very much on edge, though.

I do NOT trust Australian dramas.

So what happens is that Steve (Tim Ross) and Dani (Jessica Tovey) are planning to move to Singapore for Steve's job. 

I wondered about that. Are the actors leaving the show? 

Or is something going to happen to make them change their mind about moving to Singapore?

Well, suddenly Dani is driving while using the phone, and she crashes.

Oh no. 

This is so Australian-television.

Fictional-Australia really needs to just get rid of all cars, trucks, and buses. 

Anyway....

Next thing I know, there's a hospital scene. And some of the characters are told that Dani is fine. She just broke her leg.

Did I relax?

Uh...no.

Not at all.

I saw Dani chatting and laughing...and waited for her to suddenly go unconscious. She may look happy, but her brain is bleeding.

When that didn't happen, I figured it was her broken leg. She's going to develop a blood clot. It will move to her lungs, and she'll collapse...dead in the kitchen.

There was a part of me that thought maybe she WILL be okay.

So it's her husband that's going to die. 

Dani and all their friends push Steve to go off to Singapore without Dani. They tell him they'll take care of her. They don't want him late for his work stuff.

I thought maybe Tim Ross is the one leaving the show, and he'll get in a plane crash. Or in a more Australian fashion, he'll get hit by a car as he's walking to a taxi.

Well...I finished the first episode, and so far....Steve and Dani are both alive.

It seems Steve has made it to the hotel in one piece.

Dani hasn't had a cerebral hematoma or a pulmonary embolism.

I'm slightly less on edge now.

But not completely.  

I can't imagine how they're going to continue the show with both characters in Singapore.  But I also can't imagine why Singapore would be canceled.

One idea I have is that....

Oh! I think I know.

Dani has a very close relationship with her father (Roy Billing) I bet something will happen to him.  Dani will feel obligated to stay with him while he's recovering. Then alone in Singapore, Steve will fall in love with a coworker.

Or maybe Steve will NOT fall in love with his coworker. Maybe he'll be bullied by a coworker...all his coworkers. He'll decide he doesn't want to deal with a toxic work environment, and he'll move back to Australia.

It would actually be kind of cool if NOTHING bad happened regarding them going to Singapore. What if they just lived and flourished in Singapore, and the show became partly about characters in Australia and partly about characters in Singapore.  

Yeah. TV shows don't usually do those kind of things.  But....fictional Australians don't often survive car accidents.  So...you never know.


 

How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts 

No comments:

Post a Comment