Are You Okay?

I just joined an Australian Facebook Page called R U OK? Day  They speak in my sister's language.  She writes like that.

R U OK? Day is tomorrow. 7 October. It's supported by The Daily Telegraph.

The purpose of the event/Facebook page is to remind us that our friends, coworkers, family members, etc might not be okay. They might even be thinking of killing themselves.

We need to reach out and make sure people are okay.

That's hard, though, because sometimes people lie. Sometimes people hide the truth. I know I have. I would be rich if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I was okay, and I said yes....even though I wasn't really okay. Well, I might not be rich actually. But I might have a one way ticket to Australia...economy probably, not business class.  

For the record, though, I AM okay right now.  Truly!  So you don't need to ask me. But there might be other people out there who are not okay. We need to look out for them. We need to notice when people are sad. We need to ask if they're okay. We need to listen to them and be there for them.  

If you are having a tough time right now....I'm sorry, and I hope things get better for you.  I know it's really hard when life sucks for you.  It's horrible when you feel incredibly alone. It's horrible when you feel worthless. It's horrible when life keeps handing you rotten cards. It's horrible when life throws you pretty decent cards, and you still feel worthless and incredibly alone.

I'm especially sorry if things are so bad that you're planning to kill yourself. I can't blame you for feeling like that. Sometimes life is REALLY awful. But I do personally hope you change your mind.   And I hope life gets much better for you. I hope your life ends up being awesome.