Big Cities

I was thinking more about my last post and my fading Sydney love.

Earlier today, I blamed it on negative experiences and associations. But now I think that's probably bullshit. It doesn't make sense.  I have had huge dramas at the lake house. Many negative things have happened here, but I still love it.

I think the real reason I love Sydney less these days is I love big cities less.

I used to be a huge fan of NYC. Now it mostly just exhausts me.

I think the same goes for Sydney. It's just too crowded, and I get overwhelmed by all the tourism stuff.

Melbourne was a little better, because we stayed in St Kilda which was a bit away from all the hectic stuff. I have felt that we failed Melbourne because we didn't actually go into the CBD very much. But now I'm thinking it's for the best.

I'm not saying I never want to go to another big city. I think we'll still go but just spend a few days there instead of several.

So...when we go to Australia, we won't even go to the BIG cities. We'll go to Brisbane, but just for a few days.  Hobart's pretty small from what I understand. I think I'd like it and would like to spend more days there. The only thing is it seems to be quite cold. I'm not a big fan of cold weather.

How about you? Do you like big cities? Why? Why not?

When you travel, what kind of places do you prefer to visit?


3 comments:

  1. If it's Sydney or the bush then it's the bush for every time. Our cities are okay places to live but as far as visiting to get to know Australia, not so much. Unlike many North American cities ours are very anodyne places, they could be anywhere else. That's why the bush beats cities for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like that in London earlier this year. I adore London but I was pleased to leave after a few days. I'll let you know about New York next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OM: Hi! I think maybe the same can be said for North American cities. They each have a few unique features, but for the most part they're very similar. It's really about where someone's interest lies. If someone loves museums, architecture, and having a huge variety of restaurants, they'd probably prefer the city over the bush. If someone's interest lies in animals, waterfalls, mountains, trees, etc. they'll probably prefer the bush.

    Andrew: I didn't know you were going to NY. Or did I? Maybe I knew and then I forgot.

    I will be very curious to see what you think about it. Are you going to Canada too?

    We went to London a few years ago.I loved it, but it got a bit tiresome at times. We went to Canterbury for a day and regretted that we didn't spent more time there.

    ReplyDelete