Pictures of Poltergeist

A couple of days ago, Tim and I watched Poltergeist on our big screen TV.

Poltergeist was one of my life's biggest special interests.  It is also has huge connections to what was probably my life's biggest psychological trauma.  

Although I watched it countless times as a child and had most of it memorized; I don't think I ever watched the whole thing after the trauma.

I also had never seen it on a big screen.  I didn't see it until it came out on video or HBO (or whatever Cable premium channel).

Also, the version that I most often saw was edited for television. I guess we video-taped it?  So, in that version, Marty (Martin Casella) hardly picks his own face apart, and there were some words missing.  "Bastard" was one I remembered.  I guess I had seen the unedited version enough times to have noticed, back then, that the word bastard was now missing.  

Anyway....I had mixed feelings about re-watching. I went from yes to no to yes again.  

The thought of watching it gave me a bad feeling.  So that's where the no came from.

The yes came from wanting to see the set design close up.

The cool thing about our media room is that the screen is big but also we sit close enough that we can easily see details.  (but not so close that it hurts our necks or makes us feel yuck)

Before watching it, I had to let Tim know two things.

A) I reminded him that the movie is connected to trauma for me and asked him not to make jokes or ask questions about how so and so died in real life.  He had done so on earlier occasions which made me anxious.  I just didn't feel like sitting in the movie pretending to be casual as he asked, So how did that girl die again?    

Note: Reminded might = told.  I had thought I had told him all this at some point.  But I may have just thought I did.   

B) I planned to take photos throughout the movie.

The good news is I enjoyed watching the movie.

At the end of the experience, I felt happy and not traumatized or sad.

Tim and I both seemed to share an enjoyment of pointing out the set design.

We were both excited about all the Star Wars toys in the children's bedroom.

My attempt at humor: We were talking about all the toys they have, and it ended up we were on the same wavelength about the family being upper middle class—all the Star Wars toys, the phone jack in Dana's (Dominque Dunn's bedroom ), TV in the kitchen.  The family has at least three TV's.

And I said something like, And they have a Poltergeist clown!  

There's a guy on Instagram (Stablight Creations) who makes replicas of the Poltergeist clown.  It's fantastic but quite expensive.  I mean...rightfully so!

Oh!  Tim had this brilliant idea of getting the Poltergeist clown and taking a photo of it watching Poltergeist.

Anyway....it felt really good to reunite with an old special interest.  And I can even feel a little spark of the special interest resurfacing.

I spent a lot of time reading the trivia on the IMDb page.  There's a lot of stuff I didn't know.  I think back in the 1980's, when we didn't have Internet, having a movie special interest was more about watching something repeatedly rather than doing extensive research.

(I did have the novelization of Poltergeist and read it many times.  I bought any magazine that featured Heather O'Rourke and watched any show she guest-starred on.  I also had a hobby of imitating O'Rourke and acting out scenes from the movies)

Shit.  I'm writing much more than I planned.  I really just wanted to write something short and share the photos I took.

But...anyway, the thing with the trivia that interested me most was that the original script for Poltergeist was much darker.  Carol Ann died and the family abandoned her.  The neighbors turned against them. It also involved an ancient Indian burial ground and Diane (Jobeth Williams) not wanting Carol Ann. Both of these things ended up being part of Poltergeist II.  

After I read that, I became slightly obsessed with this alternate version.  I started thinking about how it would be nice if real life horror stories could be exchanged for much lighter, cheerful stories.  

Then....I had a similar experience the next day.  This might sort of count as synchronocity.

I had known that Kelly (Millie Gibson) was leaving Coronation Street.  From things I had seen on the show and elsewhere, I thought she was going to be murdered.  

I really like Kelly and was sad and anxious about her upcoming demise.  Yesterday I sat watching with dread as Kelly is taken to the top of a building by hitmen.  I thought she was going to be pushed off.  But then instead, her boyfriend (Adam Hussain) saves her and gets shot.  The episode ended with this.  

I couldn't stand waiting, so I Googled for spoilers.  I learned Kelly doesn't get killed. She just leaves   I was so relieved.  I  actually started crying.  But it wasn't just tears of relief.  They were also tears of sadness and anxiety.  I guess it was about knowing that usually, in real life, when people get bad news,  they don't later learn they misunderstood.  

Both the Poltergeist and Coronation Street thing makes me imagine the Powers-that-Be having fights over what happens to us; one planning something absolutely horrible and another stepping in and pushing for something not-so-bad.

Another thing I've been obsessing about is the ghosts.  I don't think I thought about them much in the past.  But I'm really curious about their side of things.  

What's up with the ghost in the kitchen?  She or he seems to want to impress the Freelings.  Bending the silverware.  That trick with the chairs!  And then they becomes so cooperative with Diane.  It's like they had a game going on there.  Put something in the circle, and I'll move it for you!

The kitchen ghost wasn't so nice to Marty.  BUT as Tim pointed out, who goes into someone else's kitchen and starts cooking a steak?  In the middle of the night?  Maybe Marty deserved a little ghostly discipline.  

I'm guessing the Beast/Henry Kane is the main guy in the children's bedroom.  He's probably responsible for the hungry tree and later the possessed clown.  But I'm wondering if a more light-hearted ghost was in charge of animating all the toys.

Well...enough of me babbling.  Here are some of the photos:  

Carol Ann's nightstand
Carol Ann
Robbie is so lucky to own such an expensive
movie prop replica.
One of the Star Wars toys
What's with the Toys R Us sleeping bag?
Or blanket?
Cool moon thing.
Another bedroom shot
We got only a quick glance of Dana's bedroom. She seems to like old films?
Provoking the kitchen ghost 
They can afford a Poltergeist clown and Poltergeist themed
silverware. 
Freeling Kitchen decorations
Freeling Bathroom.
I love the pink and yellow towels.
Reminder that one should wear safety goggles and other protection when investigating a haunting. (or a not-haunting).
I so love that clown.
Early morning ghost parade on the stairs! Fireworks will follow!
I think this is a sad, powerful scene. I wonder how many parents of missing or dead children have done the same kind of thing.
I really appreciated the dialogue between these two—their relationship. It's something I didn't really care about when I was a child.
The Freelings can also afford cool optical effects in their house, so there's no need for them to visit the local science museum.


 

I have so many more photos.  They look good on my phone.  But when I tried to add them hear, I realized I didn't do a good job of framing them.  

For example: 

Well...maybe I'll add a few more of the badly framed photos...(small versions)






In other news: I know there are millions of people waiting for the next installment of my Eleanor Roosevelt series. I'm done writing part 4 and just need to proofread it. Hopefully, it's a little less awful than I imagine. I've been working on it for over a week. I can barely remember what I wrote in the beginning of it all. 

Note: Millions = zero






Read my novel: The Dead are Online 

6 comments:

  1. Those shots came really good! I've fallen back more and more trying to take pictures when I talk about weird films (or specific scenes in less weird films) than endless internet searches for the images. This film was one that took up residence in a lot of people's heads, nice representation of it. I never considered positive and negative spirits, but that aligns with the later films as well. I wonder how many movie sequels got made over the years with ideas "tossed out" from the original. The number is likely large. Bonus trivia relating to your "being upper middle class—all the Star Wars toys" observation. The Darth Vader head in the picture is one of the early cases for action figures, meaning it is likely filled with more Star Wars toys, confirming your theory. (Slight correction, Millions = one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Taking screenshots is probably better than searching the Internet. My only challenge is I usually watch things on my phone and Netflix, Hulu, etc won't let me do screenshots. I can do it on my laptop, though. I'm not sure why they forbid it on the phone. I used to watch more stuff on my laptop and had fun taking screenshots for posts. I think I'll just get in the habit of taking screenshots of the big TV when we watch stuff...and have the shot ready in case I should later decide to write a post.

      Now I'm wondering what action figures Robbie had in the Darth Vader head. Was it full? Half full? Empty?

      Back to the screenshots. I'm not actually doing a lot of movie/TV posts lately. BUT...I'm often seeking photos for my dream app. They let you illustrate each dream with a photo. I have so much fun with that but often struggle to find an appropriate photo. Now I have so many Poltergeist photos. So...just going to hope I start dreaming of Poltergeist, so I can put those photos to good use.

      Delete
    2. Taking screen shots! What a concept. Once again, I show my age. I usually pause the film and take a picture of it, then upload that. I like movies and shows on a big screen so I almost always use televisions though.

      While I didn't have that case (I used a small metal safe for Star Wars figures, yes I still have it, yes my battered figures are still in there). Having been about that age at about that time, my guess is it would be about 3/4 full, most of the accessories would be lost, and many figures would have damage from excessive play. But that makes them worth far more than any "mint in box" value.

      Delete
    3. Just to clarify (in case something got lost in translation) I took pictures of the TV for the Poltergeist pictures. Though I didn't pause the movie. It was kind of like playing tourist in Cuesta Verde. I keep wanting to take more photos of the TV but forget.

      My screensaver mode happened when I was blogging around 2015-2016. I would often fail...describing something with some adjective. "Let me get a screenshot" And then I'd fail to get a shot of what I was describing.

      I am thinking you should visit your friends living in Darth Vader? Have you lately?

      I agree about excessive play being better than in the box. Although sadly, we still have Walking Dead's Michonne displayed in her packaging. I'm not sure why. Maybe it keeps her safe from the zombies?

      My new thing is putting our old toys outside in the garden. I might do a photo post with that someday.

      I was close to Robbie's age when when I saw Poltergeist. I did some Googling and did some math this weekend to find that now I'm close to Tangina's age! Time is funny.

      So do you pause the TV while you're watching things with Rosa? Or do you go back and pause later? Do you take notes while you're watching? I'm kind of picturing this scene of Rosa saying something funny; then you not writing it down and her asking why. OR you saying something and writing it down and Rosa suggesting you skip it.

      I was reading about your lost stroller at Disney. It was suspenseful even though I've already read it. I forgot things easily.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I misunderstood. Sometimes I'll take pictures "as it goes" to make a quick joke on social media. Anabelle just used screen grab from youtube or her essay on Attack of the Killer Tomatoes for class (I am so proud) except one that came blurry so she stole the picture from my blog. (extra proud)

    I visit the Star Wars safe every so often, and sometimes rotate the figures on the Star Wars shelves.

    Because of having figures on display on shelves, we open all the toys. Dusting can be a nightmare. I should probably do the really dense shelves more often. But little vinyl capes are the worst dust magnets in the universe, and a slip can make half the shelf fall like dominoes. Sometimes I briefly regret taking them all out. Outside toy pictures can look very cool, looking forward to that.

    The aging thing is weird when comparing to shows and films that are snapshots in time. I just noticed I'm a few years older than Lee Van Cleef's character in "A Few Dollars More." Clint Eastwood calls him "old man" the whole film. That hit hard.

    For posts, it depends what I'm doing. For the Universal films with Rosa (and the James Bond, Godzilla and Star Trek films with her and Anabelle) I took real time notes and they knew about it. It's probably why their comments became more common and funnier as we went. Some other ones (like the Fly films, and Lord of the Rings) it was general impressions after the fact. I usually get all the pictures after the fact, (so I don't interrupt the film, or note taking) starting with a search on line, and going back to the discs if I can't find a specific one.

    Thanx again for reading. I forget some of the things in my own stories...which is why I wrote them in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome about Annabelle writing a paper on Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. This is the kind of thing I'm probably most proud of as a parent. Not necessarily writing papers about it. But just...my kid watches cool movies and TV shows!

    I have lots of toys on display too. Right now we don't have much shelving so am mostly using windowsills, the staircase, and the fireplace. I want to get in the habit of rotating the displays. I changed out...not a toy...but a fancy container thing. I also wanted to do some stuffed animal rotating but couldn't find another that will stand well on the fireplace. We haven't finished unpacking yet and a lot of things are still in boxes. Well...because we're waiting for more shelving. And with the shelving, we're waiting to get our walls painted. And with the painting, we're waiting to get our floors redone.

    We're in limbo.

    I love imagining you guys watching movies. You taking notes. Annabelle and Rosa coming up with material.

    ReplyDelete