Friday, November 27, 2009

My Favorite Australian Books...So Far

I've decided to make a post about my favorite Australian books. I think I actually planned to do this before, but I didn't. I don't know why.

Anyway, here's my list of my books on Shelfari that I've rated 4 or 5 stars:

1. In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson--Well, it's not written BY an Australian. But it's about Australia.

2. So Much To Tell You by John Marsden--beautiful young adult book by the guy who wrote the Tomorrow series. I personally prefer Marsden's other stuff (outside the series).

3. Coldwater by Mardi McConnochie--historical fiction about an overpowering father during the early days of the colony.

4. The Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney--I could really relate to aspects of the family in this book.

5. Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah--young adult book about a Palestinian-Australian.

6. My Place by Sally Morgan--a must-read (in my opinion) about an indigenous family.

7. The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty--fun Aussie chick-lit with a sensitive look at postpartum depression.

8. Me Myself I by Pip Karmel--more chick-lit. It's about the road not taken.

9. Misery Guts by Morris Gleitzman--children's book about a young boy wishing to move to Australia. How could I NOT like this?

10. Orpheus Lost by Janette Turner Hospital--thought-provoking novel about terrorism and those who fight terrorism.

11. Featherman by Rhyll McMaster--beautiful, but sad book about child molestation.

12. Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta--Goodness. I actually don't remember what this book was about, but I guess I liked it. I'm confusing it in my mind with Marchetta's other book. Okay. Shelfari jogged my memory. It deals with the mental illness of a parent.

13. The Secret River by Kate Grenville--I don't remember this book that much either. I think it was about the early days of Australia....settlers and all that.

14. Due Preparations for the Plague by Janette Turner Hospital--Well, it's not a happy book. But it might get ya thinking......

15. Oyster by Janette Turner Hospital--about a religious cult in Australia

16. Letters from the Inside--another great John Marsden book.

17. Family Baggage and The Alphabet Sisters by Monica McInerney--I liked these books, but probably not as much as The Faraday Girls.

18. Writings on an Ethical Life by Peter Singer--controversial and thought-provoking

19. Playing Beattie Row by Ruth Parkes--fun children's book mixing fantasy and history

20 Custom of the Sea by Hanson Neil--It's about cannibalism. Need I say more?

21. Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks--A crazy fun young adult adventure. Jink's novels are a great antidote to the whole Twilight phenomena because they don't emphasis physical beauty.    Not that I don't adore Edward, Bella, and Jacob....but sometimes we need a little something different.

22. The Dream Seekers by Patricia Shaw--historical fiction. I need to check out more of Shaw's stuff

23. Thursday's Child by Sonya Hartnett--about a boy who likes to dig. I don't remember much beyond that, but I do know I liked it.

24. Pants on Fire by Maggie Alderson--this is about a wild British party girl who spends some time in Sydney. I didn't expect to be able to relate to a party girl, but I ended up liking the book.

25. The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmel--the only book I know of (outside of the Choose Your Own Adventure Series) that uses second-person narration.

26. Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta I liked this one, but not as much as Marchetta's other book.

27. Guitar Highway Rose by Brigid Lowry--I kind of don't remember this book, but I rated it highly. It's young adult literature.

28. Storm Boy by Colin Thiele--children's book about a boy and a bird.

29. Toad Away by Morris Gleitzman--cute and clever children's book about the infamous cane toad

30. Leaving Jetty Road by Rebecca Burton--A young adult book. I liked how Burton dealt with the subject of eating disorders.

31. The Tiger in the Tiger Pit by Janette Turner Hospital--Yeah. I tend to like her books.

32. The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks A young adult book that makes us ask whether it's really that fun to be a vampire.

33. The True Story of Lilli Stubeck by James Aldridge--young adult novel about poverty and pride

34. A Fortunate Life by A.B Facey The inspiring autobiography of a man growing up in Australia.

I'm surprised I don't have any Tim Winton's book. Maybe I missed it. Anyway, I'd probably give most of his book three stars except for The Riders. I really liked that one.