A Decision

I'm going to say what's on my mind even though it's going to make people annoyed with me, hate me, and maybe want to strangle me.

I don't think I want to go to Australia any time soon.  Well, obviously a part of me does want to go.  You can tell that from all my obsessive planning.  But I don't want to go using desperate measures.  I don't want to go in September when it's cold. I want to go when it's warm. I don't want to do a 15 hour straight flight. I hate long flights...passionately. Eight-ten hours is bad enough for me.

And I don't want to have to worry constantly about everything being so expensive.

I'd rather wait. I figure, in a few years, the American dollar will be back to being higher than the Australian dollar. What goes up must come down...right?   Or usually it does. I want to wait until we have racked up enough airline points so we can fly free to Hawaii or Japan, and then buy flights to Sydney.

I was talking to my mom this weekend about Australia's economy and she said maybe we shouldn't go.  It made me sad to hear her say that; I think mostly because I know she's right. And I feel spoiled planning this third trip. If I had a terminal illness, or I had this blog and had never been to Australia; then I think it would be poetically beautiful if we overcame the obstacles and made our way to Australia. But I've been to Australia twice in the last four years.  I'm extremely blessed.   I'm spoiled when it comes to traveling. To ask to go again at this time, seems wrong...overindulgent. 

Anyway, it's not too horrible for me because what I've learned these past few years is I can have a deep love for Australia without physically being there.   It's funny because a few years ago, I worked hard trying to convince my family that I could still love them from thousands of miles away. I wanted to move to Australia, and I was trying to convince them it would be okay. I still agree that it would be okay, but it works the other way as well. Thanks to the magic of the Internet, I can love Australia even when I'm not there.