The Renaissance of Radio and Sarah Jane Smith

Yesterday when watching the interview with Nick Earls, I really liked what the interviewer said about radio fading away, and now it's having a renaissance. It all seemed so hopeful. And I thought about the post I wrote several days ago. I said nothing gold can stay, but that's okay because there's usually new gold.

But yesterday after hearing the radio thing and watching Doctor Who, I started thinking that yes, nothing gold can stay. But you know what. Sometimes the same gold returns!

On Doctor Who, the doctor was reunited with one of his previous companions. Sarah Jane Smith. It was a sweet reunion but also sad. I felt bad for the character. She's been replaced with Rose. I also felt bad for the actress, picturing that she's probably had much less work recently. Her Doctor Who days are over, and here she's just doing this one time guest star thing.

But then I consulted Lord Wiki and saw Sarah Jane Smith comes back! It's not just a one episode thing.  She comes back for three more.

And that's not the most amazing thing. Sarah Jane Smith gets her own series! From 2007-2011, the BBC had a family program called The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Like radio, Sarah Jane Smith had a renaissance.

It all gives me so much hope.

I guess what I think about is relationships—the people in my life who have kind of faded away. We don't talk much anymore. I imagined things are over between us, but now I'm thinking, who knows what will happen in the future.


2 comments:

  1. Radio is definitely "not dead". TV on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    I don't think TV is dying...just changing. Maybe what's going to die is the type of TV culture in which you have a bunch of channels, flip through them, and struggle to find things to watch.

    Now I think a lot of us are watching the shows we want to watch when we want to watch them.

    But maybe you're right. Maybe eventually the industry will die and we'll all just watch YouTube videos.

    As for radio, You know much more than me. I'm curious. Do most people listen to their radio programs on a radio. Live. Like in the car? Or do people listen to them in other formats? For example a recording you can find on the Internet?

    ReplyDelete