I Got a Package

I got my books from Powells today! I'm so happy and excited; and grateful to my parents for giving me a gift certificate.

Here is what I got.

1. Gallipoli by Alan Moorehead. I think Moorehead is a friend of Robert Hughes. Maybe? I kind of remember reading that. Anyway, I'm not sure why I got this book. Nonfiction books about history and war usually bore me. Really great writers can make anything interesting though. Maybe this will be one of those books? I hope.

2. Mrs. Fraser on The Fatal Shore by Michael Alexander. This is another nonfiction book. Mrs. Fraser was the subject of that really creepy painting by Sidney Nolan.

3. The Rock by Robert Doherty. It's some kind of science fiction type thing involving Uluru.

4. Outside the Gates of Science by Damien Broderick. I've been wanting to read this one. It's about paranormal research. I think it might be like that other book I read; Conscious Universe by Dean Radin. And Radin writes some of that promotional praise stuff on the back of Broderick's book. Maybe they have the same sort of ideas. I really like when people look at paranormal stuff with a scientific and open-minded approach. I much prefer this to skeptics, and people who are overly open-minded.

5. A Fence Around the Cuckoo by Ruth Park. This is one of Park's autobiographies.

6. How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier. This is supernatural chick lit. I sometimes LOVE that stuff. Well, I find some books more appealing than other ones. We'll see if I end up liking this one.

7. The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson. I think this is that book that has subtle hints of lesbianism. Or maybe it didn't, but the movie did? It's about a women's school in Melbourne. Oh. And there's an introduction by Germaine Greer. This should be interesting.

8. Fresh Fields by Peter Kocan. I hope this book is as awesome as the other stuff I've read by Kocan. I really loved The Treatment and The Cure.

9. The Black Grail by Damien Broderick. I just looked at the back, and it involves time travel. If it doesn't totally confuse me and scramble my brain, maybe it will be my Lost and FlashFoward replacement....my rebound science fiction.

So, here's the thing. I'm all sad about Lost going bye bye. I've been cheering myself up with the idea of further bonding with FlashForward. The show has some similarities to Lost. They both involve time travel and destiny; and both shows feature Sonya Walger and Dominic Monaghan.

The other day I was telling Tim that I think American science fiction/mystery shows shouldn't go on indefinitely. They should be on for a set time, instead of dragging on and on. I didn't really see how they could keep do several seasons of FlashForward. It would get ridiculous, and repetitive.

Well, the day after saying this....I found out that ABC (American one) is not renewing the show. It has two episodes left, and that's it. Now I'm not only grieving, but I'm feeling guilty for saying it's going to drag on and on. I stick with my feeling that the show needs to have an end in sight. But goodness....not that soon! There's no way they can tie everything together in two episodes.

I think one more year would have been perfect.

Oh well. I still have my Sookie to look forward to. Sookie, Eric, Bill, Sam..... Ah, now I'm feeling better.

Let me continue with the books.

10. Eustace by Catherine Jinks. This is the second in the Allie's Ghost Hunter series. I really loved the first book. I hope I like this one too.

11. Homesickness by Murray Bail. I read his other book; Eucalyptus. I liked some aspects of it, but was bored with some of it. I hope to like this one more.

12. Swords and Crowns and Rings by Ruth Park This is one of Park's fiction books. It's the one that has a romance involving a dwarf. And I think it also involves economic differences.

13. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I don't remember ordering this one, but I'm very glad that I did! I read about it recently, and it sounded interesting to me. I want to read all of Marchetta's books.

And I got one book that's not Australian; Stephen King's Under the Dome. I love almost everything by Stephen King. I hope this book is included in that. It does sound a bit like The Simpson's movie which I didn't like. But hopefully King did a better job with the subject.