Kangaroos on ABC

Tonight there was more Aussie stuff on ABC.  I'm talking about the AMERICAN ABC, not the Australian one.

One of the characters of Suburgatory has a pet kangaroo.  It was introduced in the last episode.   I assumed it was a quick silly joke that would be soon dropped. But no.  The kangaroo was back tonight.

No worries, though. The show's not advocating irresponsible pet ownership. If anyone was interested in having a pet kangaroo, they'd likely change their mind after watching the episode. The kangaroo wrecked the house.

On Modern Family, ABC continued with the kangaroo theme by having Mitch or Cam make a comment about having a kangaroo pouch to stick Lily.

I'm so intrigued by Modern Family's habit of alluding to Australia things. Is there something going on there?   Maybe I read too much into it because of my Australia obsession. Maybe they allude to other countries just as frequently, but I don't notice.

I'd like to think there's something going on, though.   And I can't help but think there is. Maybe one of the writers is like me and is really obsessed with Australia?  Maybe he or she IS Australian? Maybe she's married to an Australian?

Anyway, while I'm on the subject of television, there was an interesting coincidence.

In the last episode of Awake, some of the characters watched The X-Files. Then tonight on Suburgatory one of the characters watched the The X-Files. I'm wondering. Is it X-Files appreciation month, or something?  Did I miss the memo?

I did a little research and learned the executive producer of The X-Files is also the executive producer of Awake.  So I guess that's why they did that.  I'm not sure why Suburgatory mentioned it as well.

3 comments:

  1. Kangaroos are possibly the least pet-like animals on earth. With the possible exception of the rhino ... We once visited a park picnic area with a cage for the humans - if you didn't feed the kangas, they became quite violent!! I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yeah, you don't wanna mess with the Big Red. [sorry, couldn't resist it].

    Kangaroos are not naturally friendly I don't think [nor is there any reason they should be].
    Rescued joeys are fine til it's time for them to move on, but the healthy diet recommended for rescues causes them to excrete the stickiest, most immovable muck and they cannot be toilet trained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Nomad Oz: Cage for humans. That's funny. But it does make sense.

    Fruitcake: Maybe they should talk about the poop on Suburgatory. Although knowing the character that has the pet....I can't imagine she'd be feeding him a healthy diet.

    The character is an exaggerated portrayal of a snobby, superficial, spoiled, and not very smart teenager. Her parents are divorcing, and the father is trying to get on the kid's good side. So he gave into her demands for a kangaroo. Although she initially wanted a monkey.

    As bad as a kangaroo is for a pet; I'd probably prefer that over a monkey.

    ReplyDelete