My Life in 1986 (Part 2)

Here's more stuff from my teenage diaries.



I don't feel well. I had strep throat two weeks ago. (3/24/86). The medical drama continues. This was around the time I had mono. I guess I'm soon going to be diagnosed. Or I was already diagnosed, but I didn't want to mention it in my diary. Maybe I was embarrassed because it's known as the kissing disease.

I hadn't kissed anyone, by the way.  

Never mind about the secrecy....

I have mono. I haven't gone to school for so long. Monday I'm going. (4/22/86). I didn't write for almost a month! 

Well...maybe there WAS secrecy. Shame? Why else didn't I write for that long? I know mono makes you tired but too tired to pick up a pen? 

Next weekend Poltergeist II is coming out and next weekend we are getting a new dog a black female standard poodle. I want it to be named Gypsy.  (5/?/86)  I was a big fan of the Poltergeist movies, and we never ended up with a dog named Gypsy. Instead we had a Toby...and later a Truffles.  

I went shopping today. I got a Family Circus book, slime, Bonkers, a book for my mom (Mother's Day), Doll Star magazine for Melissa, and soap opera magazine for me. I also got Hands Across America record. (5/10/86).  I think Bonkers was a candy?  I feel a memory, sort of.  Something like Starbursts?  I'll Google in a minute.  We actually went to the Hands Across America event—I think just Melissa (my sister) my dad, and myself. I still sing parts of the song sometimes.  

Googled Bonkers. Lord Wiki says it's a candy. A company called Leaf Candy is planning to start manufacturing the candy again. 

My parents were nice today. I love them so much. (5/11/86). I wonder what they said or did to make me say that.  I've had a very rocky relationship with my parents.  Did we get along better when I was younger? Maybe my anger didn't begin until later in my teen years. Or did I have anger back then but felt too guilty to express it?  I notice that I said my parents were nice TODAY rather than something more general.  

I saw Poltergeist 4 times now (6/26/85). I rarely see movies multiple times anymore...especially at the theater. The only time I've done it in the last ten years or so is with Inside Out.  That's in terms of a theater movie, but even with DVD or streaming, I usually watch movies only once. 

I hate being sick. I hope they find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis (7/5/86). That sounds like I have Cystic Fibrosis. But...no. I had swimmer's ear and the beginning of an obsession with Cystic Fibrosis.  It happened after I saw the TV movie Alex: The Life of a Child.  

The obsession eventually led to me meeting my husband! 

I read the book Alex today. It was so sad. I think they will find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis on June 4, 1994. (7/17/86)  It's close to 24 years past 1994 and they still haven't found a cure. But they HAVE come up with some pretty good treatments.  I'm not sure where I got that date. Did I just randomly pick it out of my brain?  Was I having some kind of prediction but not of the right thing?  

We are in NY. We went in central park. It was neat. But then we went to China Town. It was disgusting.  (8/2/86) If I didn't know myself, I would worry that my statement had been racist.  But I had a huge crush on a Chinese guy, and I think I had a thing for Asian people in general. Which yeah...IS kind of racist. But it's not the kind of racist where you don't want to be somewhere because of the demographics.  

I read some of Alex today, and then I cried. When they find a cure for CF, I will have a party. (8/7/86)  I was very passionate about the cause back then.  

I wrote 2 plays today. We'll do them when I have a friend over like Marni or Nwaka. (8/8/86)  Why? Did they have acting talent?  Or were they the only ones I could convince to participate in my writing adventures?  I do remember that Marni was into acting and singing?  I'm not sure about Nwaka.  And now I'm wondering whatever happened to Nwaka. I don't remember much about her beyond seventh grade. Did she move? Or did she just fade away into a different friend group?

As for writing. I totally forgot, but seventh grade is when it all started for me. It's interesting to me that I didn't talk about it more. I think I was too busy complaining about teachers, fangirling over Poltergeist II, and planning for a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. 

Note: I just remembered Nwaka's last name and Googled her.  She got married in September 2016 and registered at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I hope she's doing well. I don't remember much about her, but I do kind of remember her being very nice.

If I could have anything I wanted this is what it would be. They'd find a cure for CF. Then a couple of years later I would star in the sequel to Poltergeist with Heather O'Rourke and Ralph Macchio, me and Heather would become best friends and I would marry Ralph Macchio and adopt kids from around the world. (8/20/86).

Fifteen years later, on that exact date, I'd give birth to my son Jack. Ralph Macchio was not the father.  



How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   


The Dead are Online  a novel by Dina Roberts