Something I Left Out

In my last post, I left out something.

Before Callie (Maia Mitchell) tells Jude (Hayden Byerly) that it's selfish to be silent, she says, I won't ever see Sophie again if it hurts you.

Sophie (Bailee Madison) is Callie's newly found half sister.

Jude's elective mutism began around the time that Sophie came into Callie's life, so Callie believes this might be the cause of Jude's silence.

Maybe it was.

Maybe it wasn't.

Maybe Jude doesn't even know.  Actually. I bet he doesn't. He's probably as confused as anyone.

The thing is, though, Callie has every right to get to know her sister...even if it hurts Jude.

I think by making such a promise to him, she could be training him to use silence as a manipulative tactic.  He could end up learning that anytime he doesn't like something, he can go silent and wait for it to bother people enough that they make a change.

This is what I think Callie SHOULD have said.  Jude. I'm guessing you feel hurt and scared about Sophie. Maybe this is the reason you're not speaking?  I want you to know that it's okay not to talk. You can talk when you're ready. And I will keep loving you no matter what. I do want to get to know Sophie. I'm sorry if that hurts you. But I want you to remember that no matter who comes into my life, I will always love you. You will always be very important to me. You will always be my favorite brother.

Yeah. That's kind of very corny. But the show has a lot of corny lines, so it would probably fit.

In the episode I just started watching ("The Longest Day") Jude comes along with Callie to spend the day with Sophie, Callie's biological father (Kerr Smith), and Sophie's mother (Valerie Dillman).

Did Callie break her end of the bargain?

Or did it turn out that Jude actually didn't mind Callie spending time with her sister?

OR maybe he did mind a bit, and Callie realized the best solution was for the THREE of them to become friends.

I hope it works out for all of them. Really. I do. Especially Jude. He's a really sweet and adorable kid.




How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts