It's a Mad World After All and Everybody Wants to Rule It

When we were at Woke Disney last week,  Tim and I went on It's a Small World while Jack went off on his own.  Later, we joined forces again.  Jack asked if we'd mind going on It's a Small World again.  I didn't. But I decided to spice things up a bit by playing an alternate soundtrack on my headphones.  I chose "Mad World", the Michael Andrews/Gary Jules version and then Lorde's version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

I'd like to pretend this idea came from my own little brain.  But I feel I've picked it up subconsciously from somewhere.  Or more like consciously from somewhere, and now I've forgotten from where.  Maybe I'll Google later.    

I am wondering if maybe it came from my favorite Disney blogger?

Well...anyway....

It was a fun experiment.

I do want to make this important point:  The choice to do this came more from thinking it would be fun to experiment rather than the dread of hearing "It's a Small World" song twice in a row.  

Hearing "Mad World" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" on the ride was slightly....something. I'm not sure what word to use.  Eerie. Maybe?  Dark?

Yeah. I guess dark would fit.  The alternate soundtrack made the dark ride darker.

In terms of an emotional effect...Though I felt a bit of something on the ride,  I felt a much bigger thing yesterday when, while taking a shower, I decided to ask Alexa to play the songs.  

Though I'm bad at conjuring up images on demand, I do have them popping up involuntary, and hearing the song brought up images from the ride.  

All the feelings are hard to explain.  And now I kind of regret trying to write a blog post about it.

BUT...I don't want to this to be yet another post I start and then delete.  Or save in my drafts indefinitely.  

There are other things I want to say about the trip.  I'm trying to decide if I should skip it all together, add it to this post, or make other Disney posts.

Thinking about it....

It's like 25 minutes later, and I'm still thinking about it.

I did get up to pee, though.  So at least I'm multi-tasking.

I think I might go with plan C or plan A....hopefully with B.

But instead of ending this post here, I'm going to Google and see if I can easily find anyone else who changed a Disney ride soundtrack.  

I Googled "Listening to Other Music on Disney rides" and got lists of webpages to help with listening to Disney music while not in the park.  It's kind of the opposite of what I'm searching for.

I looked up It's a Small World specifically and found this video.

No....I think this was more like someone filmed the ride and then later added their own soundtrack. And they actually made the ride more peppy. 

Well...did more Googling and didn't find anything.

If you know of anything, please share.  

Last thing I want to say for THIS post is that it's not just that the altered soundtrack made the ride darker or that the ride image memories made the songs even more eerie...but added to that is everything going on in the world these past couple of years.  The state of the world and paying attention to it can make most everything seem much darker.  


Read my online novel:  The Dead are Online 

2 comments:

  1. Nifty idea. I've never had headphones in the park to try anything like that. The closest I came to anything like that was putting on Spike Jones records when "Teen Dance Party" shows were on TV in the 80's. Glad you had a good trip, sorry the real world crept into your Disney experience a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun experiment! I really need to do things like that more often...at Disney, home, etc.

      Delete