I Can Watch It!

I am not a fan of gifts and surprises.

But last night, Tim brought me a surprise I actually loved.

He found out how I can watch The First Australians on the SBS website

It turns out that you can just download the podcasts.  If I had looked closely enough, I would have seen it myself.   So, along with my feelings of gratitude, I also felt a bit foolish.  Of course, like a good American, I blamed everyone else for my failure.  Well, why didn't anyone else notice that and tell me???

I watched about half of the first episode last night. So far, I love it.  I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Maybe I'll become addicted to SBS.   It could replace McLeod's Daughters in my heart.

In other news, I'm still reading the Robert Hughes book. I decided that nonfiction can be divided into three categories.

1. Written so well that it will make a subject I've never been interested in seem interesting.
2. Pretty good writing, but I probably wouldn't like the book if I wasn't interested in the subject.
3. The writing is so awful it made a subject I love incredibly boring.

This book is a #1 for me.   I have never been interested in art or art history. It's just never been something that grabs my interest. But Hughes makes it sound interesting.   I actually started googling artists and paintings he mentions.

Most nonfiction books I read about Australia end up being a #1 or #2 for me.

I read one book that was a #3.  I'm not sure if I ever finished it.  I found it to be so boring.  It was just so dry.   There was no spirit in it.  I felt like I was reading a paper written for a school class.  

4 comments:

  1. Feral Beast will be watching the podcasts from tonight, he booked it in a few weeks back with firm instructions for no other distractions lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne,

    I hope he enjoys it. Have you seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you were an Aussie too.

    So where the bloddy hell are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darth,

    Thanks.

    I live in the evil empire of George W. Bush--his hometown actually.

    ReplyDelete