Quizzes and Mistakes

Recent events in my life have given me a strong desire to play Australian trivia games. Unfortunately, I'm a little tired of QuizUp.  I mean I'm not tired of the game in general, because there are a ton of topics. But I am tired of doing the same Australian questions over and over.

So today I googled Australian Prime Minister quizzes, and I found that FunTrivia has a whole page of Australian government quizzes. I've used FunTrivia before for Aussie trivia, but I don't think I knew they had a government page. I think the trick is to be specific when searching for quizzes. I think I usually just search for Australia quizzes...or trivia.  But that's probably too general.  

I took the first quiz on the page which is about political quotes. I got a 7 out of 10. I'm fairly happy with that, because for the most part I knew the ones I got right. It wasn't just a matter of random lucky guessing. I like proving to myself that I've actually learned something through these years of writing this blog. I need that ego boost sometimes.  

Anyway....

One of the ones I got wrong was a quote from William McMahon.  During an election campaign, he said, I ask you to carefully consider the record of my government and vote Labor. That's not a good thing for a LIBERAL Prime Minister to say. Major oops.

Reading that made me feel better, though. Because although I do fairly okay with Australian government quote quizzes, the same can't be said for my proofreading skills. Anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis could attest to that fact. My friend is reading my book now, and she emails me every so often to tell me I've confused characters in my book. Today I got an email telling me I did it about 5 times on the same page. I corrected it and tried not to feel too horribly ashamed. 

It's so easy to say the wrong thing, and it's easy to write the wrong thing and not notice you've written the wrong thing even if you've read it over multiple times.  Or maybe I shouldn't say that. Maybe I should say it's easy for SOME of us. Other folks probably have their heads screwed on better.  

6 comments:

  1. Just saw you being interviewed on the Today show here in Australia. My life partner is a Texan who has migrated to Australia 13 years ago and we travel to Texas about once a year so I have developed a bit of an obsession with everything Texan. Especially now that I have so many close friends and family there through my partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    Hi! That is so awesome! You love my state and I love your country. Maybe a Texas show should interview you!

    What does your partner think of Texas. Does he love it as much as you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw you being interviewed on the Today show, I'm an American living in Australia since 97 and have loved every day...I spent most of my time living in Sydney, but have moved to Perth where the quality of life is even better than Sydney. I've been to Texas several times, I've lived in multiple places in the states and call Alaska home...it was great to see your interview

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,

    Hi! It sounds like you have a wonderful life...all that traveling!

    What do you like best about living in Perth? Do you have any favorite day trips from there? I'd love to see the Pinnacles one day.

    Do you miss living in Sydney, or are you much happier in Perth?

    I'm trying to figure out why you call Alaska home if you live in Perth, but maybe you mean your family lives there? Or is it like home in your heart kind of thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dina, Yes my partner does love Texas as much as me as he was born and bred there. He is similar to you as he is a Texan that loves Australia. So much so that he migrated to Australia and is now an Australian citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason,

    That's very cool that you both love each other's places of origin!

    ReplyDelete