February 13

Today I was trying to point out to Jack that it's Friday the 13th. I asked him to guess what day it was.

He said it was Friday the 13th.

But what day?

He thought for a moment and then said, Sorry Day.

I was amused that he remembered that.

On February 13, 2009 we were in Gerroa, New South Wales. We had just come from Canberra where I think they were doing some bits of things to honor the first anniversary of Sorry Day.

Do they commemorate the anniversary?

This website says Australia has their Sorry Day every May 26. 

What happened to February 13?  

Lord Wiki says that although the apology happened on February 13, May 26 is observed, because this is the day the "Bringing Them Home" report was tabled in Parliament. I'm not sure what tabled mean? Maybe read? Discussed?  

Let's ask Lord Wiki....

He says it means to begin considering a proposal.  

Okay. So today wasn't Sorry Day, after all. It's just Friday the 13th. And really. It wouldn't be Sorry Day, anyway because it's already February 14 in Australia.

February 14 is a big day in our family. When we were in Gerroa, we got an early morning phone call. My first nephew had come into the world. It's also the dating anniversary of my nephew's parents and the wedding anniversary of my other sister (and her husband).  

Anyway...Happy Valentines Day weekend to everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Friday the 13 has come and gone and I did not realise. Yep, clock says 14/02 Saturday. I am not superstitious but I don't like Fridays 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    Well, I'm glad you missed it then!

    ReplyDelete