And Now It's Time for Economics

Lord Wiki is going to teach me about Melbourne economics.

I'm having so much fun writing these posts. I wonder if anyone is having fun reading them. I kind of hope so, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. We watched this documentary about The Simpsons yesterday, and someone on there said you should write what YOU think is funny. I think that's good advice. I like writing stuff that's interesting and entertaining to me. If other people happen to enjoy it, that's a bonus. If no one else likes it....well, at least I had fun writing it.

Lord Wiki says Melbourne is home to five of Australia's largest corporations. These are ANZ, BHP Billiton, the National Australian Bank, Rio Tinto, and Telstra.

I've heard of Telstra before. That's the phone people. We used their services when we were in Australia.

BHP Billiton is a mining company. They have their mining thing all over the world, including my country.

Rio Tinto is a mining company as well.

Both of the mining companies also have offices in the UK.

Lord Wiki says that Melbourne has the busiest seaport in Australia. I wonder why it wins that contest instead of Sydney....or other ports.

It has the second busiest airport. I'm assuming that Sydney has the busiest.

Melbourne is known as the center of the Australian automobile industry. That's nice.

Melbourne makes a lot of money from tourism. In 2004 it had 7 million domestic tourists, and 1.88 million international tourists. There's about 22 million people in Australia. Does that mean 1/3 of them visited Melbourne? Or maybe some folks made multiple visits? Yeah. That's probably it.

Lord Wiki has another whole page on tourism in Melbourne. Here he says, that in 2009, there were 15.9 million domestic tourists. I guess Australians really love going to Melbourne.