Something Good Has Happened To Me

So...I was worried about falling into a post-potter depression. I worried I wouldn't be able to enjoy reading for awhile.

Guess what.

It didn't happen!

Well, okay. Honestly, there were a few blue days.

I made a rule that I would give myself a week to get JK Rowling out of my system. Then I'd start a new book.

I was going to start a new book on Saturday, but by Wednesday I was really needing to read...SOMETHING.

I read a fairly good Australian book; Little Wing by Joanne Horniman. It's no Harry Potter, but it's a sweet poignant book about postpartum depression.

Although I was sort of depressed (about the Potter thing, and other stuff) while reading it. I'm not sure it's helpful to read a book about depression when you're not feeling very happy. Or maybe that's the BEST time to read a book about depression. If you read a depressing book while happy, it might pull you OUT of your happiness.

The awesome thing is after reading Little Wing, I started reading another Australian book; A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz.

I won't say it's as good as the Potter stuff, but it is BRILLIANT!

Lately, I've come to realize that I feel I'm less self-centered than most people I know. However, I think I'm much more vain than most people I know. My feelings about the book are evidence of this.

The main character reminds me of myself. Or maybe the author does. Maybe both?

So yeah. Leave it to a vain person like me to like a writer that reminds me of myself.

What can I say? I like me, and I like people that remind me of me.

The book is so funny. And it's full of great quotes.

I'd love to share many, but I'll just type out my favorite two paragraphs.

It's from page 165.

Now I want you to know, I do not agree with the theory that all illness is made in the mind. Whenever someone says that to me, and blames all my sickness on "negative thoughts," I think one of the ugliest most uncharitable, angriest thoughts in my ugly, uncharitable, angry thought repertoire. I think: I hope to see you at your child's funeral so you can explain to me how your six-year-old daughter fabricated her own leukemia. Like I said, not nice, but that's how furious that particular theory makes me.....

The problem with people is that they are so in love with their beliefs that their epiphanies have to be absolute and comprehensive or nothing. They can't accept the possibility that their truths may have only an element of truth in them.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole power of attraction philosophy. I think I've expressed my feelings, in the past, about the issue fairly well....but probably not as well as Steve Toltz does.

I'd probably try really hard not to wish someone's child dead, though. That's too awful.

I especially love the second paragraph because it's EXACTLY how I feel about such things.

Power of Attraction folks have their weird beliefs.

I have my weird beliefs.

I believe in fate.

I WANT to believe I became obsessed with Australia for a reason.

My new idea is that I became obsessed just so I'd eventually be led to A Fraction of the Whole.

I don't think I'd read it otherwise.

How many Australian books did I read before becoming obsessed with Australia?

The only one I can think of is The Thorn Birds. And I don't think I even read all of it. I just kind of skimmed through to the kinky parts.

And even if I DID come across the book, I don't think I'd have chosen to read it. It deals with crime stuff. I'm usually not into that kind of thing. I'm not a big fan of stories that paint sympathetic portrayals of criminals. Well, there was Peter Kocan. I love his books. But again. He's Australian. If I wasn't into Australia, I wouldn't have read Kocan's stuff either.

I'm wondering if any of you have read the Toltz book. I hope so.

If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.


Oh!!!!

I forgot to mention my other awesome news. It turns out that I didn't have to say good-bye to Harry Potter. Jack and I are reading it together now!!! I've started right back at the beginning. Every night, at bedtime, we read a chapter together. Tim thinks it's funny because we don't read it aloud together. We just sit together and read it silently to ourselves. It's so NICE.

We're going to read it on the plane together. I think it's going to make London more interesting and meaningful to Jack. I'm thankful for that.