Time Doesn't Always Fly When You're Having Fun

The other day my family talked about how time goes so fast when you're an adult.

I feel my life is speeding by.

Everything goes SO fast.

I can't believe my twentieth high school reunion is coming up....not that I plan to go. But still!

I've been with Tim for fifteen years. Our baby is now nine years old!

The original Nightmare on Elm Street premiered 26 years ago!

Seinfeld has been over with for twelve years!

It's all CRAZY!!!

I told my family that the one time (since childhood) my life slowed down was when we were in Australia.

My family didn't seem to get it. Well, at least there wasn't an indication that they could relate to my feelings. From what I heard, it seems in their experience...time slowing down is something that happens when you're bored.

I definitely wasn't bored in Australia. I mean I'm sure there were some rare boring moments. But for the most part, it was one of the best times of my life.

Then tonight I sang while exercising.

First, I did the American national anthem. I'm not that patriotic actually, but I do think that song is a fun one to sing.

Then I started singing that Andrew Lloyd Weber song from Aspects of Love. "Love Changes Everything".

There's a line in there that says, Love can make the summer fly, or a night feel like a lifetime.

Ah! So I'm not totally weird for feeling time went really slow in Australia.

That's the thing. Love can make time slow down.

It's like when Jack was a tiny baby. I loved him SO much, and felt such an incredible bond to him. Within a few days, I loved him more than I have ever loved ANYBODY. It's funny to think you can fall in love so fast.

I think love is the key.

I love Australia. There's that. And I think we found new friends. That added to the love experience.

It was all lovely.

And slow.

Unfortunately, towards the end....time started flying again.

So anyway, I think there's two ways of time going slow.

There's that why-won't-the-damn-hands-on-the-clock move??!!! slowness. That's pretty awful.

And then there's the intense love/bonding happy times slowness. I think in that case, the moments don't really go slow. If they did, you probably WOULD get bored. Okay, yeah. I love sitting in the grass with you guys, but haven't we been here long enough? This is getting OLD.I think instead the slowness happens more when looking back. It's hard to explain.

I just remember being in Canberra or the South Coast, and feeling it had been AGES since we left our friends in Tasmania. It also felt like they were our lifelong friends even though we had just met them a few days ago.

Oh, and that reminds me of other song lyrics!

There's not a word yet for old friends who've just met.
Part heaven, part space, or have I found my place?

I'm thinking of friends who I hold dear in my heart. Some of them I haven't known for long, but there's a part of me that feels I've known them for longer.

It goes the other way too though. I have friends, and I sit there thinking....I can't believe we've known each other since our boys were toddlers! It really doesn't seem that long, but it is. It seems like yesterday that my friend's youngest was a baby. Now she's already five!