Satisfaction Versus the Work of Ryan Murphy

Today I watched another fantastic episode of Satisfaction.  As I was watching a nun get caned by a prostitute, I started thinking that Satisfaction reminds me a little bit of Ryan Murphy's work. But I personally think Satisfaction is better.

I like some aspects of Murphy's work. There are some brilliant, bizarre, and touching moments. But then I think that makes up 60% of his shows. The rest of it is ridiculous, gratuitous, and silly. Sometimes I feel it's all about someone with a lot of creative power trying to get away with as much as possible. I imagine Murphy saying, what crazy, offensive thing can we shock people with this week?

Satisfaction has some crazy stuff, but I feel the purpose is more about showing us that there's a huge variety in human experience and desire and less about wanting to shock and disgust.

I'll have to say, though, that I've only seen Nip/Tuck and American Horror Story. I haven't seen much of Glee or his sitcom. Maybe that's a bit less gratuitous?  Also, looking back, I thought the first two seasons of Nip/Tuck and the first two seasons* of American Horror Story were quite awesome. It's like Ryan Murphy starts off his shows with brilliance and then loses the plot.Who knows. Maybe I'll find the same thing happens with the second and third seasons of Satisfaction.  It could all go downhill. But I hope it doesn't.


* I loved the third season of American Horror Story, but at the same time I thought it was crap.