Expecting Future Gaslighting

I think as much as Trump is hated now, he will be hated even more so by history.

I think if we hadn't had World War C, Trump would have been somewhat forgotten. He might have been an obscure blip that people remember every so often. Decades from now, or a century or two, people might have said, remember when that reality TV host was president?

And another person might reply. Oh yeah. That racist, narcissist. What an ass. 

Or well...maybe he would be remembered for being impeached. That's not too common, so...sort of memorable.

Anyway, but now Trump is pretty much a wartime president, so I think he will be strongly remembered.

Though he has a lot of haters, he still has some very strong and vocal supporters...and also some quieter supporters.

I think, though, as time passes, some people will try to distance themselves from their past lives as Trump supporters. I imagine certain people in my family will eventually realize they're on the wrong side of history, and they'll try to write themselves onto the right side.

But I'm going to work hard to NOT be gaslighted.

I'm going to try to remember who spoke out against China's secrecy and early mismanagement of Covid 19 but didn't offer (even close to) equal criticism of Trump's early denial and mismanagement of Covid 19.

I'm going to remember who never spoke out against all the shitty things Trump did and said but on multiple occasions spoke out against people speaking out against Trump...and even used the term Trump-Derangement Syndrome. But strangely there was never any mention of an Obama-Derangement-Syndrome.....

I'm going to remember who spoke out multiple times against CNN but said nothing when Trump Tweeted support of the protesters risking all our lives...AND encouraged them to protect their Second Amendment. 

Now....

I could end up being totally wrong.

The Trump supporters in my family might end up staying loyal to Trump. They might continue to insist that he was a good president....or at least not as bad as media and the history make him out to be. And then they won't try to gaslight us about their Trump-supporting behaviors.

But I have a feeling....

Well, I think some gaslighting is going to happen.

Either they will try to gaslight us about the stuff Trump did and/or said...Tweeted.  OR they will try to gaslight us about their support of Trump.  


How would our world change if we knew for sure there was life after death, and it was easy for our dearly-departed to talk to us via the Internet?   

The Dead are Online, a novel by Dina Roberts 



Edited to add 2023:  I was VERY right about the gaslighting.  I don't feel a joyful feeling of vindication.  I feel...well, I feel the usual feelings that come along with gaslighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment