Trying to Bond with Melbourne

We plan to go to Melbourne the next time we visit Australia.

Tim's eager to go.

Various people keep telling me we need to go. Some people even say that Melbourne's better than Sydney.

For some reason, I don't have the same spiritual-type urge to go to Melbourne as I did for Sydney. Out of all the places in Australia, Melbourne's the one that least appeals to me. I don't know why.

I kind of DO want to go to Melbourne though. Why? I want to settle this issue. I want to know how I'll end up feeling about Melbourne. Will I end up not liking it? Do I have some kind of precognitive aversion to the place? Or will I go, and love it? Maybe I'll surprise myself by loving it even more than Sydney.

We shall see......

I want to spend the next several months learning about the places we'll visiting. I think I'll start with Melbourne.

I know a little about it....

Peter Singer and the Costello brother are from there. I know there's many more famous people from that area, but those are the first that come to my head. What can I say?

I know Luna Park's in St. Kilda.

I've heard of Fitzroy Street, and Carlton gardens.

I know the serial killer Frederick Deeming hid a body in a house in Melbourne. Wasn't it on Andrew Street?

Okay, yeah. Lord Wiki confirms that.

And I think in my Melbourne bonding and education, I'll start with the great Lord Wiki. What does he have to say about Melbourne? Maybe I'll just read and pick out facts that jump out at me.

1. The Yarra River is the one in Melbourne. I've heard of it.

2. Melbourne was founded in 1835 by settlers from Van Diemen's Land. So there was forty-seven years between the time that the First Fleet arrived in Port Jackson, and the time Melbourne was settled by white people. In my mind, stuff like this happens pretty much at the same time. It took me awhile to stop imagining that the First Fleet came soon after Captain Cook.

3. Melbourne's named after a guy named William Lamb Melbourne....or William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne. I am totally confused about all that. Is Melbourne his name, or a title? Anyway, he was the Prime Minister of the UK around the time that settlers from Van Diemen's Land found their new home.

4. In the 1850's, Victoria had the gold rush, and Melbourne became a very wealthy city. We'll hopefully visit some historical gold tourist stuff in Ballarat.

Well, you know what.....

I think that's it for now.

I don't want to go back to bombarding myself (and others) with excessive information. I'm going to make this short, and continue later!